Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

So a buddy gave me some 1" plate that he had left over after school was done and what is the use of it goes to scrap so I took it. I planned on running it 2g with mig. My high school only has a 6 ton bottle jack with two pieces of 1/2" round stock to bend against. I'm just gonna throw it out there and assume that it ain't bending 1" plate? Would it do a test on 1/4" plate if I felt like doing some practice? I just don't want to break the jack or bend the round stock or the worst of it all-have it literally blow up in my face?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

For your 1" thick piece, you can just cut out strips and do side bend tests.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:For your 1" thick piece, you can just cut out strips and do side bend tests.
What is a side bend vs a regular bend or are they the same. I've heard the phrase but never seen it.

And what you are saying is that I'm not gonna destroy the jack or the bending device with that large of a plate? I'm surprised if so.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

You will need to cut strips that are thin. Like 3/8. They will be 1 inch wide and 3/8 thick. Those you could bend. You will bend the 1 inch side. this would be the equivalent to trying to rip the two plates apart long ways.
I have more questions than answers

Josh