Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
bosulli
    Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:40 am

Thanks for the info Weldingt. I did see your facility on the AWS listing. As mentioned I called 2 that were 3 hours away, and they have not called back. For what I want to do, there is value in AWS certification. But, before I drive 6 hours one way and plop down $550, I need to be sure I can pass. I am going to order test coupons from a company that will test the coupons. Once I pass an unofficial test in my shop, then I will get the AWS. If I don't hear back from the 2 sites in Alabama, I will certainly be contact with you.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

bosulli wrote:Just moved back from TX. Sill going back and forth.
Any chance of finding an AWS site on the Texas end of your travels? Is Shreveport on the way, if you're driving? This is an AWS test site in Shreveport- info clipped from an AWS list:

Louisiana Technical College Shreveport Bossier Campus
2010 N. Market ST.
Shreveport LA 71137
Steven Dowings
318-676-7811 Ext: 131

(I used to live in Shreveport, and drove up to Memphis- 5.5 ~ 6 hours.)
Dave
aka "RTFM"
bosulli
    Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:40 am

Thanks Artie. Saw that one in the listing. if I drive from parent's place in MS then I do go thru Shreveport. If i drive from Memphis, I dont. It could work out, as its a good place to spend the night. I will call them, and see if I get a return call.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

RamboBaby wrote:If you hold out and learn 4G before testing then you will be certified to weld 1, 2, 3 & 4 ---- G & F. You aren't terribly far from this place, maybe 3 - 4 hours:
http://m.georgiatradeschool.com/?url=ht ... =true#2931
Plate test at this facility will cost you $150 in any position.
RamboBaby,
Not true. Per AWS D1.1, Table 4.10 if you take your test in the 4G position you are only qualified to weld in the flat and horizontal position in grooves and flat, horizontal and overhead in fillets. To be qualified in all positions you will need to take a 3G and a 4G test.
Jonathan
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Doesn't a 6G pipe cert cover you for all fillets as well?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Poland308 wrote:Doesn't a 6G pipe cert cover you for all fillets as well?
I believe the ASME IX does, Ill have to look at my cert to be 100%....

@Poland308
Attachments
Here's my cert does cover fillets, I thought I read plate as well....
Here's my cert does cover fillets, I thought I read plate as well....
IMG_20160923_224520388~2.jpg (36.16 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB