Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
emperorkrog
    Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:11 am

Because of the slow down in oil I'm going to need to get a ton of welding tickets. This is very time consuming and expensive since I'll need to practice at my hall which is almost an hour away.

I was wondering if there is some gear that would probably help me. I noticed there is some new helmet technology that helps you see the puddle etc. Is there gloves that are a better? Is there anything to help for stability when you have nothing to lean on? I saw something called the tig finger, is that good? I'm basically looking for any accessory that can help.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Welcome to the forum. Helmet and gloves are a personal thing. Don't go blow a bunch of money on a helmet unless you're sure you need all of the features. Tig fingers can be helpful to rest your hand on the workpiece to resist heat. If it's possible take a peice of plate and tack it on a test stand or something to prop your arm- only if you're allowed to. And get comfortable, take dry runs, and take extra metal to get your machine settings right before you even think about welding out your actual weld.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
emperorkrog

Thank you for the reply I know a lot of stuff isn't needed, a good welder can do with out it and a lot of it is just personal preference. The things people suggest I will look them up and see if they will work for me.

Maybe there is a good file for prepping and cleaning lands, or there is a helmet that gives better optics and will auto change for grinding saving you some time during the test. Maybe there is a device that helps with getting the right root opening easier. Basically just anything that helps. All my welding gear is gone, I'm going to have to get everything new, helmet, gloves , glasses, files, grinders etc. So I want to make sure what I get will be high quality and might help with my test. If even one thing helps me pass my test the money saved would be a lot.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

What processes are you looking at doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Coldman

What is your vision like?

emperorkrog

Starting with my initial B which is 6" pipe, tig root, 7018 fill and cap.

I'm then getting my small bore
Stainless stick and tig
Inconel stick and tig
CWB 7018 all position

I have about 4 or 5 months to get as many as possible.

For my eyes last time I checked a few years ago it wasnt perfect but he said I did'nt need glasses.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

For that test would then definitely reckoned a tig finger or two. Love Tillman gloves personally love my Miller digital infinity. Honestly with the x-mode you don't actually have to switch to grind mode for a quick grind job. Big fan of bsx jackets. If you buy a helmet run a lot of weld just putting beads down to set it right and see if you need cheater lenses. Big fan of dewalt grinders as well. Key thing with grinders for me is not to cheap out. I didn't even buy the cheap dewalt. I know in going to use it fairly heavily so I go with a bigger and stronger motor. Not a stainless expert or a tig expert either but play with tungsten types to find which you like best for arc quality.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Coldman

An auto darkening helmet is definitely helpful learning, practicing and testing tig. Thereafter it is mostly restricted to bench work. If you are doing site work out of position a twenty dollar bucket helmet will be your go to friend.
You will need a couple of angle grinders five inch with thin light body you can operate with one hand with cutting discs wafer and 3/32" for gapping.
Grinding discs
Braided wire wheel for interpass cleaning
Flapper discs
Various clamps for pipes and flats
Half round file 12" or 14" second cut.
Gloves to your choice.
A couple or steel wedges
Wire brush
Pipe wrap
Ball pein hammer
Combination square
Tape measure
Engineers chalk
These are the basics.

Coldman

Definitely a tig finger

Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Get some gear without holes in it!
Gary
DonaldE
    Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:27 am

Good info to know about here...
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

if you got a auto darken helmet get yourself a pipliner helmet or something fixed shade none auto darkening.. for a back up.. and get used to useing it.. nothing like going to take a test and the dam auto darken decide today was the day to die.. i keep one in my shop for just this reason..

also get yourself a few spares of gloves and a chipping hammer, and wire brush..
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.