Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I found a pdf version of the 2000 D1.1 code book. The question is-how much different is it from the current book. I'm not dropping $600 right now for the code book. Would I be safe to read through it and get a pretty good grasp in the code itself or is it that much different?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Farmwelding wrote:I found a pdf version of the 2000 D1.1 code book. The question is-how much different is it from the current book. I'm not dropping $600 right now for the code book. Would I be safe to read through it and get a pretty good grasp in the code itself or is it that much different?
Periodic revisions are minor. I think they exist to justify the outrageous vacation and party the meeting is.

In short, a 2000 copy is going to be so close to the current that you can certainly use it as a guide.

I have a 1999 copy of ASME IX, and a current copy, and I'd need a cocaine habit to focus enough to tell you what's revised.

Steve
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:I found a pdf version of the 2000 D1.1 code book. The question is-how much different is it from the current book. I'm not dropping $600 right now for the code book. Would I be safe to read through it and get a pretty good grasp in the code itself or is it that much different?
Periodic revisions are minor. I think they exist to justify the outrageous vacation and party the meeting is.

In short, a 2000 copy is going to be so close to the current that you can certainly use it as a guide.

I have a 1999 copy of ASME IX, and a current copy, and I'd need a cocaine habit to focus enough to tell you what's revised.

Steve
Yeah now I gotta sit down and take some time to read some of the damn thing and learn some weld inspection stuff, except i found I can't become a CWI with a year of technical school until I think I have 4-5 years experience which makes sense but I was hopeful I could get it sooner.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick