It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:59 am Advanced search

Qualifying a Procedure as per AWS D1.6

Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks

Qualifying a Procedure as per AWS D1.6

Postby Easy10pins » Wed May 31, 2017 9:49 am

Greetings all,

Being new in my welding career I am not familiar with qualifying welding procedures.

My current job, 54" stainless steel pipe butt straps. My PM originally wanted to weld it with SMAW 308L electrodes which is not very time or procedure efficient. At least that's my assessment. I recommended using MIG with 316L SS wire. But to do that I would need to certify for SS and to do that I need to provide the testing site a WPS.

Can someone, anyone explain to me, in a nutshell, the process to qualify a procedure as per AWS D1.6?

Thank you.
"Go as far as you can see and once you are there, go farther."
User avatar
Easy10pins
Workhorse
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:04 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Qualifying a Procedure as per AWS D1.6

Postby Poland308 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:46 pm

Don't mean to sound like an ass. But I don't think there is a nut shell big enough. Believe Steve is working on setting up procedures for where he works. Slightly different scenario but same size effort needed. I know there's a lot of paperwork and that you need to be knowledgeable about the code book. You will essentially be making up your own weld test. Based on what fillers it will cover and what parameters. I.E. pipe work, flat work, metal thickness, weld position, bevel, no bevel, backer/ or not, purge / or not, and an endless amount of other options.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Qualifying a Procedure as per AWS D1.6

Postby LtBadd » Wed May 31, 2017 6:33 pm

HERE is a link to a PDF file in my dropbox, it may be some help
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
User avatar
LtBadd
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:00 pm
Location: Clearwater FL

Re: Qualifying a Procedure as per AWS D1.6

Postby Easy10pins » Wed May 31, 2017 7:46 pm

LtBadd wrote:HERE is a link to a PDF file in my dropbox, it may be some help


This helps. I will pass this along to my superintendent.
"Go as far as you can see and once you are there, go farther."
User avatar
Easy10pins
Workhorse
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:04 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Qualifying a Procedure as per AWS D1.6

Postby LtBadd » Wed May 31, 2017 7:57 pm

Easy10pins wrote:
LtBadd wrote:HERE is a link to a PDF file in my dropbox, it may be some help


This helps. I will pass this along to my superintendent.

I copied this from another forum, I'd advise you to contact a local testing lab that can assist you in this process, good luck and post back on your experience.
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
User avatar
LtBadd
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:00 pm
Location: Clearwater FL

Re: Qualifying a Procedure as per AWS D1.6

Postby Easy10pins » Wed May 31, 2017 7:59 pm

LtBadd wrote:
Easy10pins wrote:
LtBadd wrote:HERE is a link to a PDF file in my dropbox, it may be some help


This helps. I will pass this along to my superintendent.

I copied this from another forum, I'd advise you to contact a local testing lab that can assist you in this process, good luck and post back on your experience.



Unfortunately, there's only 1 ATF in my area and they do not test for stainless. I'd have to drive 3 hours to the next ATF which is another part of the problem.
"Go as far as you can see and once you are there, go farther."
User avatar
Easy10pins
Workhorse
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:04 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Qualifying a Procedure as per AWS D1.6

Postby Otto Nobedder » Wed May 31, 2017 8:09 pm

Poland308 wrote:Don't mean to sound like an ass. But I don't think there is a nut shell big enough. Believe Steve is working on setting up procedures for where he works. Slightly different scenario but same size effort needed. I know there's a lot of paperwork and that you need to be knowledgeable about the code book. You will essentially be making up your own weld test. Based on what fillers it will cover and what parameters. I.E. pipe work, flat work, metal thickness, weld position, bevel, no bevel, backer/ or not, purge / or not, and an endless amount of other options.


Qualifying a procedure should not require you to test at their facility. You can ship the coupons. That's what we're doing for ASME B31.1 and B31.3 stuff. Actually, I welded my ASME IX re-qualification piece at my shop and shipped it for testing. You only need proctors/witnesses that you followed the procedure you're testing/qualifying. If you claim 6G but rolled it out, the testing facility will know.

Again, this is all ASME, and I can't promise AWS won't have different hoops to jump through.

Steve
User avatar
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 8404
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm
Location: Near New Orleans

Re: Qualifying a Procedure as per AWS D1.6

Postby Easy10pins » Wed May 31, 2017 8:16 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Poland308 wrote:Don't mean to sound like an ass. But I don't think there is a nut shell big enough. Believe Steve is working on setting up procedures for where he works. Slightly different scenario but same size effort needed. I know there's a lot of paperwork and that you need to be knowledgeable about the code book. You will essentially be making up your own weld test. Based on what fillers it will cover and what parameters. I.E. pipe work, flat work, metal thickness, weld position, bevel, no bevel, backer/ or not, purge / or not, and an endless amount of other options.


Qualifying a procedure should not require you to test at their facility. You can ship the coupons. That's what we're doing for ASME B31.1 and B31.3 stuff. Actually, I welded my ASME IX re-qualification piece at my shop and shipped it for testing. You only need proctors/witnesses that you followed the procedure you're testing/qualifying. If you claim 6G but rolled it out, the testing facility will know.

Again, this is all ASME, and I can't promise AWS won't have different hoops to jump through.

Steve


And this is where my lack of knowledge is pretty evident. LOL.
"Go as far as you can see and once you are there, go farther."
User avatar
Easy10pins
Workhorse
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:04 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Qualifying a Procedure as per AWS D1.6

Postby Otto Nobedder » Wed May 31, 2017 8:19 pm

It's still a big learning curve for me, too!

Steve
User avatar
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 8404
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm
Location: Near New Orleans

Re: Qualifying a Procedure as per AWS D1.6

Postby Poland308 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:57 pm

Code books can be intimidating.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Iowa

Next

Return to Welding Certification - Stick/Arc Welding, Tig Welding, Mig Welding Certification tests - Welding Tests of all kinds