Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
acozygun
    Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:32 am

Howdy all,

I should start off by saying I am set up for rig welding have a 68 redface, sa250 and a vantage so..... I have been around just never worked in oil and gas. I do hand rails and equipment repair mostly.

So I have been doing a lot of work for a start up oil company. The owner asked if I would work for them full time once they get a few wells going. So I have never welded pressure pipe before or well casing. I figure I should get a few certs before I get asked to do a bunch of pipe... I know that is coming. I have practiced 6010 root/tig root, 6010 fill and cap to see if I can do it... turned out ok. Wondering what advice people have for getting my feet wet in this in this world before I get thrown in neck deep.

Thanks
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
karmachanical
    Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:45 pm

Trying setting up something like this. IMHO if you can't pass this, you shouldn't be welding pressure.

http://www.absa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2 ... llabus.pdf
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

karmachanical posted a great test procedure.

Oil and gas weld inspections will be held to API (American Petroleum Institute) standards, and they have specific certifications you can obtain. I'm sorry I don't know more about the standards myself, as I've only qualified to a few procedures rather than certifying. I've done no oil work, and only a little NG work.

I think there is some API knowledge here. www.roadtechs.com has a forum where you can learn more. www.gbria.org and www.rigzone.com may be able to give you some information, too.

Good luck!

Steve