Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
VR46TheDoc
    Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:36 am

So... my first ever welding test is going to be sometime next week, at a very large company here in Tulsa that makes flares and burners. (Yea that one) The test is 1G & 2G 1/4" carbon steel, 30deg bevel on both, back gouged and filled, done with 035 Gmaw. (2 hr limit) I have the benefit of knowing exactly what the test will be and possibly even having my instructor there with me. (Who is a great dude) Just wanted to dip into the knowledge pool and get any extra tips or information on how I should go about this. This would be an incerdible opportunity to get into industry before I even finish school, not to mention get paid to learn so I don't want to blow it. Sorry if this is long winded just wanted to give all the info
Thanks - W
Not built to fly a desk, like to be judged on the quality of my work not the quality of my butt kissing.
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

that should not be hard at all.. just make sure not to get to much heat into the peace.
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi, W,

I suggest chatting up the fellow giving the test. It doesn't always work, but it has for me in the past. He can tell you about idiosyncrasies in particular machines in the test room, and may even offer guidance for the test itself. I passed AAR (railroad) certification this way, having never welded dual-shield before.

It sounds like you already have your ducks in a row, so the most important thing is to treat the test like "one more weld" instead of some make-or-break thing. I've driven 1200 miles and busted a test because I put too much pressure on myself.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Steve