Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
    Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:34 pm

Hello everybody!
My name is Arsham and I'm migrating to Australia as a welder. I know there are a few Aussies here who can help me with this.
I am making myself prepared for the welding tickets according to AS 1796: certificate 1 up to 9
I already have AS 1796 standard but the information there is not quite specific about every single test. I'm looking for some WPS like the attached one below. Where can I find the information about these?Seemingly there is not even a single online bookshop that can provide me with such info. I tried to call the Unions but they keep telling me about registering for the courses and stuff, not giving me a direct response.
I'd appreciate it if somebody could give me some info regarding this matter.
Thanks!
Attachments
WPS-TB-135SF-PB001.jpg
WPS-TB-135SF-PB001.jpg (121.45 KiB) Viewed 2472 times
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Hi Arsham and welcome.

AS1796 does not provide individual wps but does contain all the information you need in table form for multiple processes you just need to be able to understand and extract the information you require for each practical assessment. You won’t be able to walk right up and do test by the way. There is also a theory test and evidence of welding experience prior to the test. This is why unions are telling you to enroll in courses to get you through to certification. You may be able to apply for RPL recognition of prior learning if you have trade papers from another country.
You can get tested by a private certifying company but that is really expensive.
My recommendation is to enroll in a TAFE college when you get here, the theory runs in parallel with the practical training. If the teachers see you are competent to bypass the practical training and go straight to the test they will do it, I’ve seen it happen.
It’s a very rare thing to want all certs 1-9. If you nominate a couple you really want to do I will get my copy of the standard out tomorrow and spell out for you the test coupon requirements.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Coldman wrote:Hi Arsham and welcome.

AS1796 does not provide individual wps but does contain all the information you need in table form for multiple processes you just need to be able to understand and extract the information you require for each practical assessment. You won’t be able to walk right up and do test by the way. There is also a theory test and evidence of welding experience prior to the test. This is why unions are telling you to enroll in courses to get you through to certification. You may be able to apply for RPL recognition of prior learning if you have trade papers from another country.
You can get tested by a private certifying company but that is really expensive.
My recommendation is to enroll in a TAFE college when you get here, the theory runs in parallel with the practical training. If the teachers see you are competent to bypass the practical training and go straight to the test they will do it, I’ve seen it happen.
It’s a very rare thing to want all certs 1-9. If you nominate a couple you really want to do I will get my copy of the standard out tomorrow and spell out for you the test coupon requirements.

Sent using Tapatalk
Hi Coldman and thanks a million for your thorough response!
I hate to admit it but what you said that all the tickets' details are available in the AS 1796 is true. You have to have the patience to extract all those details! But it would be really nice to have each test sorted neatly like a WPS, and FYI the Australian ministry of education awarded me with a " certificate III in engineering" so I believe I can skip the TAFE courses and jump right onto the welding tickets right?
another thing is that I have no intention of getting all those certificates, just the ones that I'm expert in. In my country, I'm certified under the ASME BPVC codes and standards. so I want to focus on the tests which are associated with ASME Section IX.
I'm aware of the fact that you have to pay for the coupon specs and other test-related standards, so I'm willing to pay for them.
By the way, thanks for everything...

Hi there...

well, I've already studied the whole AS1796 and some questions came to my mind. Appreciate it if somebody could help me with them:
1: Seemingly there is no 3g or 6g test incorporated in the standard, right?
2: In the chart related to consumables, there is R1, RGA1 & R1A. What are these? (P.S. I don't have AS 1167 2)
3: For the 3E test the stated consumables are E7016 and E7018. but there is no specific information regarding the diameter. For instance, can I use the 3/32 for the root pass in 4G or 3/32 7018 for the cover pass? Should it be a weave one or stringer?

On the whole, I am willing to start as a boilermaker. Actually, this is my profession back in my country. Here are the tests I had to go through to get the job:
1: 6G 2" SCH.80 CS TIG all the way using ER70s-6
2: 6G 2" SCH.160 CS Root TIG & 7018 3/32 Hot, Filling and the Cap pass.
3: 6G 2" SCH.160 SS TIG all the way using ER308L or CS pipe and ER309L for the filler rod.

my question is: what types of weld test I will be encountered as a boilermaker in Australia as a pre-requisite to get the job?

apologies for asking too many questions...
Thanks.
Coldman

1. There is no such thing as 6G in AS1796. All pipe certification coupons are one x 2G + one x 5G.

2. The R numbers are consumable classification according to aussie standards. AS1796 calls up R1 rods for pipe coupons. There actually is one manufacturer of R1 wire (Cigweld). Never seen it before or know of anyone who's actually used it. I believe it's a shit rod. Don't sweat it, every tig cert coupon is done with ER70S-2,4 or 6. If you do the coupons in a TAFE college they will give you ER70S-2 whether you like it or not. The invigilator won't give a dam either. If you want to bring your own S-6 they will let you.

3. You can use whatever size rod you want. You can weave or stringer to your preference as long as you comply with reinforcement dimensions . You will find that the teachers/examiners would suggest stringers as it is easier to comply. My preference is weaving if you are good enough because it goes in faster and you do have time limits as well.

There is a difference between welder certification and welder qualification. Certification is done under AS1796 to gain your tickets. Once you have them you can throw AS1796 away, you'll never use it again. In the real world welders have to qualify for procedures or weld test for a job, these are done usually in 6G because one test covers all positions, good to go.

Good luck!

hey thanks coldman for that thorough reply.
I tried to contact the " World Tech College " in NSW about the details and costs, and they have only a number of tests there. I downloaded the test specs for 8g ticket and stunned by the cost of the test: 2500 $ :o :o :shock:
c'mon man. I think the most expensive UA test is around 600 bucks. but 2500?! I think I skip taking any test based on 1796. :roll: and try to find a job which doesn't need a pre-requisite 1796 ticket based.
Coldman

A private organisation will be interested in bucks not student outcomes. AS1796 certs are issued by the licensing authority WTIA through tuition and testing by themselves or by government run TAFE colleges on their behalf. Any other private organisation may test according to AS1796 but I can’t see how they can issue a cert that is worth anything.
No shortcuts. You have to go through the TAFE college system. If they see you are good enough they will fast track you straight to testing. Enroll and negotiate.

Sent using Tapatalk