Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Cle808
    Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:20 pm

Need a hand. I am preparing to test initially for my fillet weld tig test. We are welding on 3/8's carbon plate and are being told to use approx 140 amps. We are using 1/8 tungsten and 1/8 or 5/32 er70-6 According to calculators I can find this seems extremely low. Please advise me on what Amperage I should be at. Several samples we have cut appear to lack fusion deep in the corner of the weld.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Little bit of a late reply. But I run 125-150 amps on carbon steel with 1/8 rod. Pipe or fillet. As long as you recognize your doing a multi pass weld.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

140 amps is way too low for me on a 3/8" plate t-joint fillet weld and 1/8" filler rod.

I'd be 180-220+ amps depending on position.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Poland308

I agree that there is room to turn up but it depends on if your trying to run it single pass or multi pass. How big the joint is and weather it’s susceptible to heat input or warping.

Josh

Poland308 wrote:I agree that there is room to turn up but it depends on if your trying to run it single pass or multi pass. How big the joint is and weather it’s susceptible to heat input or warping.
But how will I attain my goal of tig welding at mig speed if I don't turn it up and move? :lol: :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Poland308

That is an admirable goal. One I’m sure I’ll never reach.

Josh
Jarrod
    Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:50 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Poland308 wrote:I agree that there is room to turn up but it depends on if your trying to run it single pass or multi pass. How big the joint is and weather it’s susceptible to heat input or warping.
But how will I attain my goal of tig welding at mig speed if I don't turn it up and move? :lol: :D
Tig is slower thats is nature.

Jarrod wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:
Tig is slower thats is nature.
But it's not my nature :D :D :lol:

I like to move on out :)
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc