Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
elephantman
    Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:36 pm

This post is going to have a lot of questions.

1. My company wants to start getting certified in ASME section ix specifically right now, we have military contract that also needs to be certified to aws code as well, if we buy the software that will make our own wps and pqr's, is that the same as going somewhere to get certified?

2. Also, if we do go the software route, I'm under the impression that the lead welder will be certified to the companys wps, and can certify other welders in that company (If that is correct) but who certifies the lead welder? A certified welding inspector?

3. If it is a certified welding inspector and a third party company would have to come in and certify just the lead welder is that allowed under ASME section IX?

Thats all I can think of right off the top of my head, back story is my company is trying to standardize their welding program and want to have all the i's dotted and t's crossed, we never have really had a standard except be certified, so when I asked what do you want me to be certified in, they said whatever you need to be. Thank you in advance for any advice.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
HT2-4956
    Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:00 am

elephantman wrote:This post is going to have a lot of questions.

1. My company wants to start getting certified in ASME section ix specifically right now, we have military contract that also needs to be certified to aws code as well, if we buy the software that will make our own wps and pqr's, is that the same as going somewhere to get certified?

2. Also, if we do go the software route, I'm under the impression that the lead welder will be certified to the companys wps, and can certify other welders in that company (If that is correct) but who certifies the lead welder? A certified welding inspector?

3. If it is a certified welding inspector and a third party company would have to come in and certify just the lead welder is that allowed under ASME section IX?

Thats all I can think of right off the top of my head, back story is my company is trying to standardize their welding program and want to have all the i's dotted and t's crossed, we never have really had a standard except be certified, so when I asked what do you want me to be certified in, they said whatever you need to be. Thank you in advance for any advice.
elephantman,

First thing you need to do is get a copy of what ever Code you're wanting to work to and have your welders certified in accordance with.

1.- Not familiar with any "software" that will make WPSs and PQRs. At most I'd think it's just a "template" for a form. It's not any kind of substitute for actual WPS or PQR certification testing.

2.- The welder that runs the WPS test specimen (assuming it passes) has that count as his PQR. But he can't in turn certify other welders. They have to take a weld test in accordance with the WPS you got certified and have it tested to see if it passes or fails according to the Code.

3.- I think you're going to need to get some help from an experienced CWI (hint, hint) to help you get up and running with this so you don't waste a lot of time and money. You have to set up a paperwork system for an in house "Welding QC" department and have a designated person that's responsible for it.

To get going (once you decide on which WPSs you need to get certified) you could use a CWI to witness that the actual welding is done in confomance with the WPS and then send the test assembly out to a testing lab for the actual mechanical testing required and then the report they give you back (along with the other paperwork involved with setting up that in house "Welding QC" system / department I mentioned earlier) becomes the companies (and the individual welders you go on to test) certification to weld in accordance with that code (in this case ASME section IX).

Needless to say there's a lot more to this but I'd need to know a lot more details about what you're building and who you're trying to keep happy with this whole "welder certification" thing.

I've got both the 2010 ASME IX and the 2003 D1.2 codes and could research and give you some more specific information but, we'd need to do it outside these forums (by email mostly) and I'd feel the need to be compensated in some form for my time.

The ASME code is very in depth and I don't claim to know it, however I have been certified to it and have gone through the process, being certified to a code does not allow that welder to certify other welders, that much I do know.

You need to find a testing lab in your area and contact them to start the process, btw it can be helpful to include your location in your profile, if you happen to be near someone else they may be able to suggest you to a local lab.
Richard
Website