Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
nickwoo
    Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:13 pm

I blacksmith as a hobby and have a little 120 flux core I play around with when i need to so Thought i could go down a route with metal working since i like doing it already.

Ok i will look at the 200st and around on craigslist.
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Artie F. Emm wrote:I can't give the full correct explanation why, but inverter welders don't handle 6010 electrodes unless they are specifically designed for 6010.
As far as I know does 6010 need a tad higher open voltage on the electrode to start the arc properly and keep them going.

Inverters tend to keep much tighter control on things like this compared to the old transformer machines so they don't tend to 'float' the voltage quite as high as the old ones did.

This tighter control on volatge is great for consistent starts and welding on other rods, but turns out it's not so much a good thing for 6010 :)

The special port (or on some inverters a setting/menu option) basically runs a higher voltage than the regular one to keep the 6010 electrodes motorin' on.. Of course a higher voltage, while keeping the same total wattage a machine can handle, will mean that this port can (marginally) handle a little less max current.

Nice writeup here:

http://www.fsmdirect.com/welding/338-we ... electrodes

Bye, Arno.