Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

So, I dig learning. Actually, since having a brain injury in 03, I always wondered if I could still learn. I taught myself to sew, sing and weld. So, I was happy to find I could. However, I did those things on my own time. It has been like 17 years since I was in school.

I was thinking of taking classes on the AWS site. I am interested in destructive testing, fabrication math 1, fabrication math 2, metallurgy, metallurgy 2, welding fundamentals, welding fundamentals 2, welding fundamentals 3 and symbols.

Has anyone taken classes from AWS? If so, how are they?

I watched a video on Youtube. A guy got a book from them and said the class was 6 hours. He also said they want you to fail, so you have to pay again. haha I mean, I find that hard to believe. But, I just thought, before took the time and spent the money, I would ask people who may have taken tests from them.

I was thinking of going to Earlbeck. But, just for the fundamentals class, it is $1550. So, I thought I would take all classes for the stuff above. Then, to go Earlbeck and take the classes for stick, tig and mig welding.

Speaking of classes at Earlbeck, anyone take any of those? Do they let you bring notes when you take the tests? As I said, I had a brain injury in 03. Since then, at times, my short term memory sucks. It maybe just be the fact that I am not paying attention. But, being able to look at notes would be most helpful.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

You need to find a forum member that's willing to help you learn.
Any volunteers?
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Glowzinski

The tests have 50 questions and you have 90 minutes to finish the test.

I guess that is good time. haha

Oh well, only one way to find out. haha
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Tests are only a measuring tool. Take the classes if you can afford it and have the time. Even if you don’t learn enough to pass there arbitrary test. You benefit from anything you do learn.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Glowzinski

Yes! See, that is exactly what I thought. Pass or not, I would still get information to soak in.
Glowzinski

So, I have been doing the aluminum metallurgy class. As I said, it has been a long time since I have had to learn stuff like that. haha

I would watch a few videos a day from the class, which, was only like 32 minutes.

I did the quiz and got 50.00. I kind of felt like a harses oars. haha But, I thought, wait, I learned enough to get 50%.

Then, I watched again. I actually recorded the video using Quicktime. That way, I could edit it and watch all the way through.

I said, screw it, I have three chances to take the test. I took it. 62.50 haha Then, instead of waiting and learning more, I just did it again, not looking at the score. I did the the last time and for a 50.00. By then, I was super nervous. I thought, balls, I will have to pay $85 again, if I want to pass the class. But then, I saw something. Now, I only have 8% of my vision. So, I missed it at first. It said "Your final grade for this quiz is 75.00/100.00." I do say, I almost shat myself. I just kind of froze. I was all shaking and shit. I found it and saved the thing to my desktop. Hovered upstairs and showed my mom. LOL

It feels amazing. I was not sure if I could learn anything or not. But, here we are. Not a perfect score. But, exactly what I needed to know my mind still works.
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 pm

@ Glowzinski - CONGRATS on your achievements! As you know, discovery and learning is a lifelong endeavor.

Access the *free* podcasts hosted by AWS. Here’s a cool one focusing on shielding gas properties/selection: https://awo.aws.org/2018/05/selection-a ... r-welding/

Note, the co-author of the above AWS presentation is Prof Tom Eagar (MIT). Tom is an industry and academic leviathan in the fields of engineering, metallurgy, and welding processes. Subscribe to his YT channel and you will have a yr+ study of fusion/solid state welding, NDT, material selection, metallurgy, fabrication technology, deform processing, corrosion, et al. Top-tier instructorship, knowledge transfer, and technical insight: www.youtube.com/user/tweagar
Enjoy the journey :cool:
Last edited by Arclight Ironworks on Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpose, then passion. Practitionership. Obsession and hard work. That's the discipline.

Arclight Ironworks wrote: Note, the co-author of the above AWS presentation is Prof Tom Eagar (MIT). Tom is an industry and academic leviathan in the fields of engineering, metallurgy, and welding processes. Subscribe to his YT channel and you will have a yr+ study of fusion/solid state welding, NDT, material selection, metallurgy, fabrication technology, deform processing, corrosion, et al. Top-tier instructorship, knowledge transfer, and technical insight: http://www.youtube.com/user/tee agar

Enjoy the journey :cool:
The YT link is to a channel with no videos
Richard
Website
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

LtBadd wrote:
Arclight Ironworks wrote: Top-tier instructorship, knowledge transfer, and technical insight: http://www.youtube.com/user/tee agar
The YT link is to a channel with no videos
This one perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/user/tweagar/videos

Bye, Arno.
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 pm

LtBadd wrote:The YT link is to a channel with no videos
Link error resolved in original post.
Purpose, then passion. Practitionership. Obsession and hard work. That's the discipline.
WeldingJunkie
    Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Just don't learn from tungsten dipper, unless you are sticking to laundry room welding.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

And I thought it was glue

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Previous reply deleted. Looks like some kind of spam or spamola
6754123gmegoog1
    Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:34 pm

Is it possible to get enough training for an entry level welding job on a factory line without paying too much? Like on the job training or a local community college course?

I'm going to be living out of a fifth wheel in a couple months and I am trying to find a way to afford a house. I used to do some basic wire welding, but that is all. I need to make at least $15/hour now. Just wondering how possible that is.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

6754123gmegoog1 wrote:Is it possible to get enough training for an entry level welding job on a factory line without paying too much? Like on the job training or a local community college course?

I'm going to be living out of a fifth wheel in a couple months and I am trying to find a way to afford a house. I used to do some basic wire welding, but that is all. I need to make at least $15/hour now. Just wondering how possible that is.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Yes, depending on the pert of the country you live in. Check with a job recruiting site like indeed. There are often lots of production welding jobs that go unfilled. Be aware they are often repetitive and tedious, often your coworkers will have a poor attitude. But if you can keep a good attitude and work ethic then most employers will give you a chance.
I have more questions than answers

Josh