Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
PalomarWeld
    Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:26 am

I have a question. My son has his AA degree in welding technology but no certifications. I thought it would be a good idea for him to get his certification in TIG or MIG in something simple at the AWS certificed facility in Rancho Cucamonga ahead of applying for jobs. That way at least he can say he is certified in something. He says it is stupid to do this as each company wants you to be certified by them for what they want you to do. I disagree as I still believe it is important to get AWS certified by yourself, as you can keep it for as long as you want, and then, if required, do what certs the company wants you to have for them. What do you guys think?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Almost every company is going to require him to "test" to be hired. Having a cert isn't a bad thing, but he's correct that his employer will almost certainly require him to certify to their process.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Certs expire unless they’ve been verified every 6 months.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
PalomarWeld
    Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:26 am

I understand that companies might test you for their positions. This is not the same as certification which they may or may not require later on as you work. From talking to some welder vets they said it would be a good idea to get AWS certification in something as it looks good when you do apply fora position.

Having a cert certainly wouldn't hurt, in fact the experience of taking the test, is a learning experience.

I think everyone so far has given a valid answer, if he has a machine at home he could keep the cert valid simply by welding with the same process and having a witness sign that off.
Richard
Website
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

certifications are mainly in steel building
certifications about was not need untill North Ridge earth quake. They found a lot of poor welds

The best is to have over head certification in stick or MIG or pipe line welding.

Dave

PalomarWeld wrote:I have a question. My son has his AA degree in welding technology but no certifications. I thought it would be a good idea for him to get his certification in TIG or MIG in something simple at the AWS certificed facility in Rancho Cucamonga ahead of applying for jobs. That way at least he can say he is certified in something. He says it is stupid to do this as each company wants you to be certified by them for what they want you to do. I disagree as I still believe it is important to get AWS certified by yourself, as you can keep it for as long as you want, and then, if required, do what certs the company wants you to have for them. What do you guys think?