Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
byumetalman
    Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:23 pm

How do i keep this from happening? Is it my torch angle rod placement or temp. 6g 2" schd. 80 pipe. Zero land 1/ 8 gap. Root went in well; but on my second pass and cover start. Its the top side of the weld above where it bellies in the middle. Any help is much appreciated.Image

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
starvncoyote
    Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:50 pm

The dull gray looks like it got hot, I don't know about the white part, could be contaminants in the material bubbling out. I would turn up my gas and down my heat before giving it another shot.
byumetalman

starvncoyote wrote:The dull gray looks like it got hot, I don't know about the white part, could be contaminants in the material bubbling out. I would turn up my gas and down my heat before giving it another shot.
Thanks I will give that a try.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Sorry, not trying to be a keyboard warrior at all, just generally curious.

Did you clean all the millscale to bright shiny metal? Looks like a lot of crud on the bevel and in the weld ripples.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

It’s oxidation from being too hot. You need to let it cool between passes. Interpass temps on carbon are generally around 150F. That means you should be able to touch it with a gloved hand before you start your next pass. This is the reason for the length of a weld test. You need to evaluate as your welding weather it’s getting too hot. You may not even be able to lay in a full pass, after the root and hot pass of course, they should go in in almost togeather. Also curious if they will let you weave your cover on test day, we can’t here.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Way too hot is what I see.

Welds shouldn't be that gray, they should be fairly shiny and with stainless, full of color.
if there's a welder, there's a way
byumetalman

bap_ wrote:Sorry, not trying to be a keyboard warrior at all, just generally curious.

Did you clean all the millscale to bright shiny metal? Looks like a lot of crud on the bevel and in the weld ripples.
Yes I did. Inside and out. Realized I was running to hot and being to impatient between passes. This was my first attempt a 2" 6g tig out. Still haven't actually taken the test because it isn't a priority at the time. Thanks for the advice though. Sometimes we all get complacent on prep and it's good to stay in check.

byumetalman

bap_ wrote:Sorry, not trying to be a keyboard warrior at all, just generally curious.

Yes I did. Inside and out. Realized I was running to hot and being to impatient between passes. This was my first attempt a 2" 6g tig out. Still haven't actually taken the test because it isn't a priority at the time. Thanks for the advice though. Sometimes we all get complacent on prep and it's good to stay in check.

byumetalman

Olivero wrote:Way too hot is what I see.

Welds shouldn't be that gray, they should be fairly shiny and with stainless, full of color.
Agreed thanks for the input.

byumetalman

Poland308 wrote:It’s oxidation from being too hot. You need to let it cool between passes. Interpass temps on carbon are generally around 150F. That means you should be able to touch it with a gloved hand before you start your next pass. This is the reason for the length of a weld test. You need to evaluate as your welding weather it’s getting too hot. You may not even be able to lay in a full pass, after the root and hot pass of course, they should go in in almost togeather. Also curious if they will let you weave your cover on test day, we can’t here.
Thanks for the input. I was definitely too hot and impatient. I have practiced a few more times since this and have achieved better results. Have yet to test though; too busy at work. On test day I will definitely double check on ho they'll let me cap.