Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Ironchef
    Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:30 pm

Big problem on cert test for 3/8 v groove with 1/4 " backing bar in 2g horizontal position. Using 3/32 7018 on a Lincoln weld flex on #1 soft arc and 85-95a.
Problem is the slag is either floating on the top of the weld or bottom depending on the angle. The root is not tying into the top and bottom of the groove an getting good penetration in the backing bar.

My certification test is tomarrow starting at 7am so ANY help is greatfully appreciated.
:?:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I suggest performing the root with a higher dig. You may have some undercut to clean slag out of, but a crisper arc on the root will help with penetration. Once the root is solid, go back to soft arc and make it pretty.

My two cents. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck,

Steve
Ironchef

Thanks Steve I'll try that. Hope I made it clear that the root pass is not tying in two sides of the groove and the backing bar.

Yes, that was clear.

You should have plenty of power at 85-95 amps, so I suspect arc balance is the problem.
If you have practice time, you can even set the machine crisp as for 6010. The more agressive arc should help with the tie-in.

The soft setting will help avoid undercut on the top of your cap.

Steve

The only other thing that comes to mind is that you may not be keeping the rod in tight enough. It's an easy reflex to hold a long arc in a deep root, because you can see it better.

Steve

So...

How'd the test go?

Steve
Ironchef

Sad to say I did not past the certification test. I thank everyone for their input. I'll be doing a retest next Tuesday. I'm considering going to the 1g flat position just to get certified. My original plan was to be certified in TIG but I and others in my certification class at Wake Tech CC in Raleigh,NC were surprised to learn several weeks into the class that only stick would be available. I was talked into continuing by the 2 instructors with the idea that the investment of time, money and x-ray fee would be a lot less than otherwise and would be something that put you on the books as a legitament welder.
Do you think I should retest in the 1g and succeed or try again for the 2g or 3G position? One of my classmates that is a good welder tried the 3G and 4G position because he could not do the 2G!
What how bout that?

:lol:
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

1-
One of my classmates that is a good welder tried the 3G and 4G position because he could not do the 2G!
What how bout that?
This made me laugh :):):) Dont go ahead to the 3g/4g if you havnt got the 2g down!

2-If their x-rayin you guys for your certs thats rough man :( Most certs you only gotta pass a bend test. If your welds are gettin x-rayed my advice would be to get that 1g down dead nuts perfect, passin x-ray before you move on to your next position. Practicing your other positions wont -hurt- really, but for me its easier to concentrate on one thing at a time, rather than tryin to get 4 things half way done then goin back and doin em again. Catch my drift?

3-Heres the thing about certs, and "legitamate" welders-Certs only last for 6 months. So if your not using that cert i.e. have your employer signing off on your hours, you lose the cert if you dont get a job using that procedure than your out your time and money you spent to get that cert. All that being said, most(well, in my trade, almost all) employers have some sort of gate test, which is specific to whatever your going to be welding on.

What I'm tryin to say is your not going to see very many adds in the paper for a welder with this cert or that cert. Usually what youll see is "welder capable of passing a 3/8 inch 4g plate test with stick/tig/mig" or something similar.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
Ironchef

I had to laugh too! Thanks for your input. I've decided to go with the 1G on the free retest. The money has already been spent so go with it. I'll chalk it of to the school of hard knocks.
By the way you should have seen the guys that did two one inch plates! The looked like they were run hard and put away wet.
:lol:
Ironchef

I just blew my cover with "et al" meaning "and others" used in scientific reports. Science is my background and in the case of Culinary and now Welding responsible for my endless questions in school that can piss off the teacher.
The one more thing is that I will be getting my Welding Degree this month. That will at lest show that I am serious about this field.
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

If your teacher is getting pissed off because you ask alot of questions find a new teacher. I did the same thing but I was fortunate to have good journeymen in the field to put up with me.

Whats up with the welding degree? That might be good if you wanna be a CWI or somethin but I'd still wanna have some field experience under my belt know what im sayin.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
TheExpert

I am agree with Otto Nobedder.