Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Huey604
    Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:02 pm

Hi its been awhile since I have done welding for a job, approximately 8 months. I went to school in 2015 n got 2 cwbs for flux and stick. The last welding job was using Mig and Flux to do the same thing which is welding steel hand rails then clean them up after. I start Monday but forgot the settings I used for MIG and even Flux. Can anybody help me out and give me some basic settings that should work for building these? Ill be welding the corners and centres of the handrails. Thanks!!
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

Too many variables. Wire type, wire size, shielding gas type, base metal thickness. It all plays a roll in your settings. Just run some practice beads on some material that’s the same as what your working with. Adjust and go to it.
mike60
    Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:48 am

just take a guess and weld em up! grind them if you booger them up at first! you will figure it out i'm sure ;)
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

mike60 wrote:just take a guess and weld em up! grind them if you booger them up at first! you will figure it out i'm sure ;)
only if you want to be one of those crap welders.

there is plenty of welding charts available to give you ball park settings.
tweak it until it breaks
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Well, his job started almost 5 months ago. I do wonder how those handrails turned out...
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Spartan wrote:Well, his job started almost 5 months ago. I do wonder how those handrails turned out...
I'm mostly wanting to know if he turned into one of those crap welders or not! :lol:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Some customers only pay for crap welds, even if your capable of giving them NASA work.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Poland308 wrote:Some customers only pay for crap welds, even if your capable of giving them NASA work.
Josh,

Then they deserve to get crap welds...I think the old adage applies here, you get what you pay for! ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan