Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Looking to get a simple 1F AWS TIG cert. The only testing center near me in southern MD quoted $525 for the one cert. Seems high to me. Have the prices gone up??
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

I think thats pretty standard. They basically quoting you time and labor.

Email your local CC welding instructor and ask if they have a local CWI instructor who does onsite certification. Where I am we have a guy and its around $100 + $50 for retest.

Is it one of these, this is from the AWS website
Annotation 2020-03-13 200536.jpg
Annotation 2020-03-13 200536.jpg (12.94 KiB) Viewed 11615 times
Richard
Website
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it was Maryland Welding Technology. The only one within 2.5 hours driving distance. Not trying to bad-mouth them, just wanted to see if it was reasonable since I was shocked at the cost for a relatively simple service. Sure, companies have to make money so was expecting maybe a couple hundred bucks, but $525 just seemed crazy to me.

Maybe had a talk with Jonathan Lewis at Superior Welding, he occasionally is on this forum, or you can find him on IG or thru his website. He should be well versed in this area.
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Spartan wrote:Thanks for the replies. Yes, it was Maryland Welding Technology. The only one within 2.5 hours driving distance. Not trying to bad-mouth them, just wanted to see if it was reasonable since I was shocked at the cost for a relatively simple service. Sure, companies have to make money so was expecting maybe a couple hundred bucks, but $525 just seemed crazy to me.
Spartan,
Prices will depend on the area you are in, what procedure you are taking, overhead, etc, etc. I've seen prices for weld tests from the $250 and up. The highest I've seen was a tad over $10k.
Jonathan Lewis
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I’ll say I’m union so my Ideas of cost are relative. We pay dues to the union so our other costs are reduced. I’d guess cert practice and testing would be 1200to 2000. Just a guess based off of my math.

Edit: per 6 months, that’s all your certs are good for.
I have more questions than answers

Josh