Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Puritan
    Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Just started workin' on this one. One thing I noticed is that the root pass is very prone to heating up during the filler and cap passes; causing a decent "wedding band" root to end up looking like a sagging piece of shit.

I used a 3/32 tungsten and filler metal, but I have the option of using a 1/8 should I want to.
Had to swap out the Northern Tool helmet for my buddy's Speedglas too. (better visibility by far)

Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can improve the quality of my weld? (I'll also be doing 3G, 5G, and 6G soon)
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

What schedule and diameter pipe? About what amperage you runnin on root, hot, and cap passes.
Puritan

brian wrote:What schedule and diameter pipe? About what amperage you runnin on root, hot, and cap passes.
3/8 plate...haven't graduated to pipe yet

I ran the root 100 amps and the subsequent passes at 145 amps.
brian

Ok, I would set it up like this. Sharp bevel, "no land" 3/32" gap, 1/8' or 3/32" tungsten, doesn't matter too much, 1/8" filler I think will be the key here, about 125 amps for root, your good at 145 for hot pass. I would turn it back to about 125 for fill and cap passes. I think what your doing is making a thin root pass with the 3/32" filler and your hot pass is penetrating too deep and maybe sucking the root pass back toward the face of the plate and flattening the root side. Maybe... A heavier root pass should help. If you don't want to use 1/8" filler, then don't run your hot pass as hot as what you have been. that might keep it from sucking back.
zorlac
    Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:45 pm

I agree with brian, your root pass should be hotter. Tho i would leave a land as to give the hotter root pass somthing to eat on its journey to becoming a complete weld.
Puritan

My welding instructor said he didn't want the root pass any hotter than 75 amps. ( I forgot to mention there is no landing on the plate)
brian

75 amps is fairly cold, unless its stainless... If mild steel, around 125 for the root. If your instructor is teaching you how to keyhole, then maybe 75 amps. I don't keyhole the root with tig. I set a gap 1/32" smaller than the filler, and run over the filler without seperating it from the puddle. To do that you need more than 75 amps to break the edges down. But, there is not just one Right way to put a root pass in with a TIG. You could ask 5 welders and get 5 different answers.
Puritan

Yea we are using the keyhole method.

I keep hearing from a lot of people that the more passes you can fit into a grove weld the better, as opposed to using a larger diameter filler rod or increased wire speed.
Any thoughts on this?
brian

The strongest weld you can do, is 1.5 to 2 times the diameter rod or filler you are using. 3/32"rod=9/64"-3/16" bead or 1/8"rod=3/16"-1/4" bead and so on. Some people will disagree but tests done by people alot smarter than us have proven it. Im not at all saying that if you don't go by this your weld is not sound. Im just saying that stringer beads are stronger than weaves.
tigman
    Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:57 pm

Puritan wrote:Just started workin' on this one. One thing I noticed is that the root pass is very prone to heating up during the filler and cap passes; causing a decent "wedding band" root to end up looking like a sagging piece of shit.

I used a 3/32 tungsten and filler metal, but I have the option of using a 1/8 should I want to.
Had to swap out the Northern Tool helmet for my buddy's Speedglas too. (better visibility by far)

Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can improve the quality of my weld? (I'll also be doing 3G, 5G, and 6G soon)
marcusharvy
    Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:53 am
    2560 N Shady Maple Ridge Rd, La Crosse, WI 54601

Have You undergone welding certification test? When You start with 3G and 6G You can think of giving this and getting certified. Rest whatever You have been doing is sufficient to improve and rest practice would do.