Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
BKM
  • BKM
    Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:48 pm

Hello all I am taking welding again in school twenty yrs. after I went the first time. I`ve been around welding all my life in some way shape or form, doing sheet metal, just never put my skills to use . I recently hired on at a job as a journeyman plate welder and fit right in after not having burned any rods in a very long time. Guess it`s kind of like riding a bike. I had no certs on that job, but they didn`t know it and all of my welds passed inspection. It was all simple flat and vertical plate, galvanized embeds. I hate welding that stuff made me sick as a mofo a few times b/c of metal flu.. 4 weeks into my school I have taken and passed my AWS D1.1 on 3 and 4 g limited with a backing strip. I did it pretty easy. Overhead was harder for me because I think my eyes are going bad and couldn`t see with holding such a tight arc. I fixed that with the aid of a cheater lens. The test used 1/8 7018 rods... Now I have a company wanting to hire me and have to take a 2,3,4 g open root X ray with a 7018.

I have been practicing and my roots are getting too much penetration.. they are going to allow a back weld on back side... I am using a 1/8 land with a 3/32 gap. I am trying to just key hole it and push the rod in... sometimes I can get them to lay in there good though unless I get too hot and open the keyhole too much. Any food for thought or tips on this test? I have a love and passion for welding. I have decided to put every ounce of energy a 43 yo man can have into becoming a great welder. I know it`s a lot different out in the field doing it on a lift or off a ladder than in a school booth. My instructor who welds at the nuke level for years said that I`m excellent at student level and Good @ journeyman.... didn`t know if that was good or bad thing *LOL*... any help is appreciated.
jasongabana
    Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:33 am

BKM wrote:Hello all I am taking welding again in school twenty yrs. after I went the first time. I`ve been around welding all my life in some way shape or form, doing sheet metal, just never put my skills to use . I recently hired on at a job as a journeyman plate welder and fit right in after not having burned any rods in a very long time. Guess it`s kind of like riding a bike. I had no certs on that job, but they didn`t know it and all of my welds passed inspection. It was all simple flat and vertical plate, galvanized embeds. I hate welding that stuff made me sick as a mofo a few times b/c of metal flu.. 4 weeks into my school I have taken and passed my AWS D1.1 on 3 and 4 g limited with a backing strip. I did it pretty easy. Overhead was harder for me because I think my eyes are going bad and couldn`t see with holding such a tight arc. I fixed that with the aid of a cheater lens. The test used 1/8 7018 rods... Now I have a company wanting to hire me and have to take a 2,3,4 g open root X ray with a 7018.

I have been practicing and my roots are getting too much penetration.. they are going to allow a back weld on back side... I am using a 1/8 land with a 3/32 gap. I am trying to just key hole it and push the rod in... sometimes I can get them to lay in there good though unless I get too hot and open the keyhole too much. Any food for thought or tips on this test? I have a love and passion for welding. I have decided to put every ounce of energy a 43 yo man can have into becoming a great welder. I know it`s a lot different out in the field doing it on a lift or off a ladder than in a school booth. My instructor who welds at the nuke level for years said that I`m excellent at student level and Good @ journeyman.... didn`t know if that was good or bad thing *LOL*... any help is appreciated.
Not here for being sorry front of you that i ca't help you but you almost gave me many tips about metal in this thread so wanna be thankful of yours...