Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
ttocS
    Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:33 am

Has anyone here taken the Newport News Shipyard test? I'm interested in knowing ahead of time as much as I can about the process.

I haven't got any real info but I've heard that they test in stick 11018-1/8th, Mig, and fluxcore. G2, 3, & 4 but only G2 on mig. Again, this hasn't been confirmed by a reliable soarce.

I'm not sure of the mig or FCAW wire size or weather or not the fluxcore is dual or self shielded.

Be nice to know ahead of time the wire brand & machine brand so that I can look up their running parameters.

Any other info such as metal thickness, time limit, backing strip type, do they let you grind & how much is too much, .

If they use 11018 - 1/8th do I need to preheat the coupon before welding?

I've never run 11018 but as I understand it... it's very similar to 7018... any advice on testing with this rod is appreciated.

Thanx
BKM
  • BKM
    Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:48 pm

11018 is same as 7018... low hydrogen all position rod with a higher tensile strength ..should run like a 7018 . Can`t speak from exp. I heard they use that ceramic backing tape up there.. been checking into all this stuff.
BKM
  • BKM
    Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:48 pm

A friend told me it is .045 self sheilded if that helps
ttocS
    Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:33 am

Self Shielded? Ruh Row... I've become pretty good with Dual but haven't got any experience running self shielded. :? Can anyone offer the contrast between the 2 as to how they run? Heat and wire speed info would be appreciated as well. I'll have to get in the shop and practice next week before the test. :ugeek: