Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
RDomeij
    Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:47 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am a welder, and I'm trying to get into welding inspection because I think it's going to be better for me in the long run.

I have to pass the CWB Level 1 Inspector EXAM. The practical part of the exam, that has to do with identifying welding defects, is going to be very easy. But the theoretical part of the exam worries me.

I have this big Level 1 Inspector book that's full of all sorts of detailed information-- some of it I will obviously need to know by heart, and some of it is probably just contextual stuff.

So I'm hoping someone out there has passed the Level 1 Inspector course recently, and can give me a heads up on what to expect. The test is in October and I'm starting to get a little nervous.

Thanks very much!
Drift
    Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:17 pm

Obviously Im too late replying to this since its past October, but I will say...the practical exam is harder than you would expect. Ive been a welder for nearly 15 years, and know what all the discontinuities look like, but still failed the exam. Make sure you follow the instructions and make sure you know every discontinuity, they will try to be tricky...make sure your measurements are precise too.

I learned all the information by taking the online course, its pretty pricy, but if you read through the text book a couple of times to get a good understanding of it, and practice all of the practice exams to make sure you memorize them you should be good to pass term 1 and 2.

As for the open book code exams, get familiar with the codes, try to learn how to find information in the codes fast, its more of a race against time, some of the codes are too big to memorize, so you have to be good at being able to find the answers fast so you dont run out of time. Lots of the questions can be about information thats very detailed and well hidden inside the codes. I failed one of them since I ran out of time. I wish I had gotten more familiar with it so I couldve found the answers faster.