Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
marvinmb
    Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:00 pm

Previously TiG welder on AL and some Carbon Steel. Moved to a new location and doing stick cert before I can do TiG cert. My test is on a 2in schedule 120 pipe in a 6G position, first time I have ever seen it, saw mention in another post that someone has done it. Looking for whatever advice available, this piece will be sent for X-Ray. Root pass has to be 6010 (with one hot pass), filler and cap are 7018.
jasongabana
    Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:33 am

If you done it than what kind of advice you are looking for?
and,
If you can't done it after a long try in a while so i'm so sorry about this metal that i can't help you but would like to be thankful of yours that you've shared.....
karir
    Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:36 pm

marvinmb wrote:Previously TiG welder on AL and some Carbon Steel. Moved to a new location and doing stick cert before I can do TiG cert. My test is on a 2in schedule 120 pipe in a 6G position, first time I have ever seen it, saw mention in another post that someone has done it. Looking for whatever advice available, this piece will be sent for X-Ray. Root pass has to be 6010 (with one hot pass), filler and cap are 7018.
you want to put a one eighth land on each to start. one eighth gap also. 6010 root pass heat should be between 65-75 amps.you want to keyhole the root whipping your rod in and out. as you come back into puddle you should really press rod against puddle that is cooling. this ensures good penetration and you'll get a stack of coins in there.i like to use a quarter inch wheel and grind the root so its shining. don't grind too thin though,you don't want to blow through with hotpass.try 75 amps from here on. 75-85.first filler pass should be a weave, pausing on top to fill any undercut.as puddle starts to fall, bring rod down with it and progress forward in a half circle and back to top,pausing,and so on.rod angle is critical at all times. tilt 5 to 10 degrees down from 90.start running stringers now from bottom edge up of course.probably a couple sets stringers to get it flush. maybe 2 stringers, then 3. whatever it takes really.make sure you leave the edge so you have something to follow on your cover.ideally about a thirty secondth under flush. your cover should take 3 or 4 nice tight, neat overlapping stringers.you cannot be more than an eighth over flush from my experience. oh ya! the majority of people fail this test because of porosity.so make sure you always strike up at least a half inch ahead of where your starting,wait for arc to stabilize,then drag back to where your starting.you will now have a clean puddle and you'll burn right through where you struck up. in case you didn't know, cold starts and long arcing are the 2 big causes of porosity! unless your highly skilled, you should grind your stops and starts to get rid of any possible porosity.keep in mind,stringers are the way to go!stay away from wide weaving! good luck,i hope this helped!
TheExpert