Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
dooleykevin70
    Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:29 pm

What's good gap for d1.1 4g using 3/32 7018 rods. Having to adjust bc of all tests needing to be performed with same size rod thru out whole test of 2g, 3g, an 4g an just can't seem to get my 3g to lay flatter than it is laying

Sent from my LGL455DL using Tapatalk
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

d1.1 is prequalified, there should be allowable tolerances of fitup. If you can get a print out of the test procedure you should do that.

Theres old versions of the d1.1 floating around online. Chapter 3 and 4 would be what you are looking for.

In most of the diagrams they show a 1/4 inch gap, however there is tolerances for more or less, which should be specified on the procedure sheet.

Found it
Attachments
d1.1.PNG
d1.1.PNG (177.99 KiB) Viewed 12667 times

So to read this:

Go to SMAW section (Bu2a).

Select desired groove angle. That will give you the correct root opening. Note that you also get 1/16th plus or minus.

So 45 degree angle says 1/4 inch. Now it says as fitup +1/4 or -1/16th. That means 3/16th or 1/2inch. Also note as detailed gives you another 1/16th.

Therefore for a 45 included bevel you can go anywhere from 1/4 to 9/16.

note the bevel angle also has tolerances.

One more quick nit, notice that you are only allowed to welding horizontal with the 1/4inch gap.
dooleykevin70

See that's the thing all wps for our tests only show verticle up an each one says for every bevel included angle max 1/4 gap. I know common arc uses d1.1 as reference so was trying to get decent reference point

What bevel angle do you use for your tests?
dooleykevin70

Most have 60 degree included angle on 1/2 inch or full inch plate with 1 inch 1/4 thick backing bar

FWE
  • FWE
    Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:29 pm

Hmmm, don't have a copy of D1.1 handy to check, but if the table shown is correct for you application then a 60° groove would not be acceptable on a drawing. You may get away with a 60° fit up if the drawing called for a 50° to 55° groove, obtained from a nominal 45°. How you could interpret it, stacking may not apply though, not my most used standard.

Regardless, if you are to be tested in all positions, but there is just a vertical up procedure, what procedure will your other positions be run and compared to? For the standards I'm familiar with, you are tested to a WPS (or pWPS for certain things, not so useful for you I think), not just the standard itself.
dooleykevin70

Will be 2g, 3g 4g
You start off with 4g and if you pass visual inspection on root an cover pass you perform 2g an 3g at same time stopping at root an cover pass on each

FWE
  • FWE

Are the tests for paid work or a college course? Doesn't seem like you've said. Got someone that can watch over you, give on the spot feedback?

To your original question, I would try different techniques, rod angles, amps, etc. to see what gets flatter results. For the root I concentrate on getting everything tied together. Weave pausing only on the sides. In my opinion, ignoring standards, the gap for a vertical up backed butt joint needs to be big enough to get the rod in and allow you to get complete fusion, and tight enough so the weave required is no more than two puddle widths. Put a loose rod in the joint, can you get the rod right into the backing plate with a bit of wiggle room? 1/4", the standard's nominal, will easily give this using 3/32" rods.
dooleykevin70

It's for paid work, I'm boilermaker apprentice an last bunch of years altho I've welded on every job except first I've yet to pass our common arc test. Currently have no one to watch me so I take pics of every single step of process from fitup to cap an ask those with more experience about it, I've also found the perfect amperage for my 3g test with 7018 1/8 rods so switched back to practiceg with that with all 1/4 inch gaps

FWE
  • FWE

Get them welders, or bosses if that is the problem, told they should be helping you out once in a while.. Ha!

Glad to hear you're making progress.
dooleykevin70

Yeah union sometimes provides help most of time their idea of helping is saying stack beads just like when I first started an had no idea what that was

Chedda93
    Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:27 am

Hell if your doin open root.... with 3/32 wire you said I think? I’d run 1/8” gap.
Chedda93
    Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:27 am

And weave just barely wider the the gap you got. An move at a decent pace. Itll be slick as hell to
dooleykevin70

No open root on our 2g 3g or 4g tests that's for tube test in 6g, im working on that as well but while im comfortable welding with tig on projects an jobs that aren't tubes I still need more work on it with 6 g as I do tend not to have few areas that don't have full penetration still so need more practice till I can do it everytime with full penetration

COwelder
    Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:57 am

1/4 to 5/16 is good for d1.1, maybe closer to 5/16th for overhead just to give a little more room to move around and burn into the sides. I would stick with 1/8th inch electrodes unless you are required to use 3/32. Good luck