Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Thiago469465
    Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:22 pm

Im a beginner welder, and just getting into the welding field, these past few weeks I have been creating a small journal guide for settings of different types of welds and thicknesses. Are you allowed to bring one of these to a test or should I just try and remember everything.

is this a test for employment, or a test at an AWS accredited testing facility? Or something else? More information please...
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

KEEP THAT JOURNAL!!! I wish I would have done a better job of recording my welds from the past.

As to your question, I have not heard of anyone not allowing you to look at a little book of settings. Might impress your potential employer as well.
-Jonathan
rohitmehta
    Wed May 12, 2021 8:25 am

Remembering everything can help you any day, even in future.
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

That’s a big yes to keeping a journal for welding settings. Note about gas and tungsten, wire, welding sticks etc. And I would go so far as to say that if you become a good tradie
And are proud of your work then you should keep some record of what you leave behind you. brackets and such will come and go but critical and any structural welds keeping a diary is great idea. It is some times called an ACE.
Arse covering exercise.
After a while you will remember basic parameters/settings for different stuff and that will be a good start. Welding Machines vary as well, notes set yourself up to kick goals.
If you are beginning then maybe honest feedback would benefit more than a test. Tests cost money and assume competencies, skills however come by stuffing up things and learning better ways. Having a go around other good welders is almost always a good start. IMO
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Amen to that. I have seen a small pocket note pad become a CYA legal document that literally was the difference of millions of dollars. US dollars for inflation reference.
I have more questions than answers

Josh