Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

I only weld Out side corners on stainless steel and brass. Only on items that are used for surface mounts on a wall. I doubt that I will ever need certification but would it be worth it? I am in Canada and would be governed under the Welding Certification Board. They are the national certification Board in Canada.

http://eng.cwbgroup.org/Pages/default.aspx

What do the pros well ok I consider myself kind of a pro welder now. But what do the more experienced guys on this site think?
capozzoli
    Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Not sure how it works in Canada but here in the US certification has to be maintained. It can be a bit of a financial expense and require some time. Do you work for yourself? If so you can maintain certification by taking the tests and then filing the paper work proving that you have welded the material and positons of the certification. It can be a lot.

I own my own shop and I can pass a lot of certification tests but I am not currently certified. I often have to qualify and I do only when required in the specs of the project. Sometimes it is cheaper (if permitted) to have the welds inspected and qualified by a certified welding inspector rather then spend the money and time to certify myself.

I say if certification isn't required, why qualify?

Wow, some of the posts are old, not sure if the OP is even around anymore?
Welding everything from the crack of dawn to a broken heart.
Greg From K/W

No Im working for a company and doing a great job at it. IF I go for certification I would do it on my own. Then go and say oh hey by the way look at what I did. It isn't required at all just a thought. I am just looking to see what other peoples thoughts are. So please guys and gal give me your thoughts on this. I am not even sure is its feasible to bother or not.
capozzoli
    Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:07 pm

By worth it I'm wondering what value expect to get out of it? Will you get a raise in pay? Will you be able to find better employment? If not it might not be worth any money but it might give you bragging rights.

Maybe find out what certifications in Canada cover the materials, joints and positions you are talking about. Then contact the board and or testing facility to see how much $$ you will have to spend to acquire the certs.also find out what is involved in maintaining. Here in the US your employer must keep records that you are welding the materials in order to maintain the certs. If not they fall away. If you are self employed you can file the paper work yourself somehow. I never maintain the certs. If a job calls for them, me and whoever else is working on the job just go and test. After the job I never maintain them. Maybe that is a mistake.

I hear so many welders here say they are certified just because they took a welding class, but clearly they are not, sometimes not by any stretch of the imagination. :D

IT can be pricey, but If you can afford to do it and you really want to I say go for it.
Welding everything from the crack of dawn to a broken heart.
TheExpert

Greg From K/W

Yes I ttok a welder fitter class back 22 years ago but never got any certification. That sucks.