Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
JDSinor1998
    Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:29 pm

Hello fellow welders. I have been welding for some time and have taken classes at my local JR. College while I was attending 10+ years ago. Since attending I have continued welding and have a shop building grills and smokers. I want to get into some structural welding and get a contractor's license. I don't plan on welding up pipe, so I was thinking of getting my 3G & 4G unlimited in both MIG and Stick. I was looking for plate specifications online and couldn't find much on Mig 1" plate everyone seems to be welding 3/8" plate. What I could find last night: 1" plate 4"x6" plate bevel to 30 degrees with a 1/8th to 5/32 root opening. Does this sound right? I attempted a 1" plate yesterday with a 22.5" bevel and I could barely get my MIG gun nozzle to fit comfortably. Also, what is Voltage and wire speed? Most the videos I could find with people welding up a cert plate was 19V 240-255 wire speed?

When I attempted the first plate and cut into it, I noticed 2 small pin hole dots on the plate after polishing it up. I will try and post to photo's later today I forgot my phone at home. I was weaving using a 1 second pause on each side. At first the silicon was brown but after a few passes I was getting a black looking silicone is this due to the plate being too hot? Not only was it a different color but it was hard to remove with a mechanical brush. I am thinking that the two small pin holes were trapped silicone. What temperature should the plate be at before continuing with more passes.

Does anyone have any experience with mailing in the Coupons for Certifications? Locally the JR college where I would like to test is limiting the number of welding classes and teachers teaching them so taking a test there is unlikely.