Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

No I didnt call him yet. I will later this week probably. As far as I know from who I know and have talked to the pipe aying will be runnin full bore for the next 10+ years or as long as the shale gas boom holds out. I'll let you know what I can get out of him. No prob for stoppin by. One thing I thought of after I got drivin down the road... copper wound welders weld differently than aluminum wound welders. I've seen as big as 30-35 amps difference from one welder to another with copper windings being the main difference. Your SA is all copper and that 305 ranger would be aluminum. So with the 3/32 on the SA we were around 60-65 amps. If we would jump to that ranger we would need to be up in the 80-85 range. Hope that helps you in the future. I'll be in touch.
Be the monkey....
birdkiller
    Sun May 05, 2013 10:56 pm

Here is a sad story.....I worked for a city out here in California as a welder in a water dept. We had an old SA Machine rusting in the back of our yard for years. It worked fine just had 2 flat tires and a dead battery. I offered to buy that bad boy a million times and was turned down due to conflict of interest. The city ended up selling it at auction and some guy paid $100 for it. He rolled into the yard pulled the old wheels off, threw 2 new ones on, dumped in gallon of gas or two and a battery and it fired up. He smiled said thanks have a nice day and drove off. I was pissed I wanted that machine so bad. The only downfall was that the really old gas driven machines were DC only; even the generator. The diesel driven were DC but had an AC generator.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

You're right, that's a sad story. And all for just a $100!

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
nevans140
    Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:42 pm

Hey Nick who are you testing for in Ohio I live in Ohio and work for bilfinger westcon looking to test for a pipeline company tho.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Very old post. Be careful of that.

Mick
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

I know this is an older thread, but ....! On any of my gas engine driven welders I used to install a fuel shut off valve. When I would shut the machine down at the end of the day, I would turn the fuel off and let the machine run dry. This kept the carb very, very clean.
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

That's not a bad idea, especially with the ethanol in the gas now!