Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Southern Boy
    Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:41 am

Hey everyone, newbie here. I am looking into getting my CWI certificate. Is it worth it? How hard is it to find a job as a CWI? What do employers want for these positions? I have been welding 20 years, 8 years of that for employment. Some of the companies I worked for are no longer in business, does anyone know how their "verification" process works? Thanks in advance!
Chris
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi, Chris, and welcome!

Your entire work history is available for free from your local Social Security office.

As for the CWI, it's in high demand and pays well, especially if you're willing to travel.

Look at:

http://www.roadtechs.com/search/search.php?search1=CWI

for information on what CWI qualifications are hiring.

You'll have to check each post individually to see if they mention rates, but $25-$45+ per hour is not uncommon, depending on qualifications and duties. Most of the jobs on that site also offer per diem and/or housing.

Steve S

Chris,

Also look at:

http://constructionworkers.us/super.php

If you leave the "where" box blank, you'll get a broader cross-section of the industry, or enter your hometown & state for a sample of what's nearby.

There are many non-travel jobs listed starting at $18/hr and way up, many with benefit packages.

Steve S
Southern Boy

Thank you! Yes, I am willing to relocate, and travel, so you have answered my question!
Chris
Southern Boy

Looking through these, most of them want experience, or multiple additional certs (VT, UT, NDT), any ideas/insights on how to get an entry level position?
Thanks!

Chris,

Like any other craft, it's easiest and most economical to gain experience locally. I would look at job-shops first, as a manufacturer typically makes one thing (or class of things), and has no reason to ecourage you to get more training. A job-shop (and, of course, I don't mean "Bob's Arnwerks, with the tin shed, gravel parking lot, and rusted sign), on the other hand, can always use a basic CWI, but has the opportunity for contracts that would require further training to meet the customer's requirements, and if the contract is lucrative, they'll pay for the training. Of course, it's the guy(s) who perform(s) best that gets offered the training, so it's on you to stand out.

I've never done the inspection side for others; I do in-house Dye-penetrant and Helium leak detection (and for our purposes, a CWI cert is not required). I'll do a little snooping on the other forums I participate on, and see if I gan give you some more useful information, or maybe a contact who can advise you better than I.

Steve S