Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
rbhil5
    Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:37 am

Hey, please if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated i got a weld test This coming tuesday test is a 2 1/2" sch 40 carbon test in a 6g position i have done it before but it has been a while for me i seem to have the most problems with the root pass what is a good temperture for the root pass , is 3/32 tungsten better than 1/8 ? should i walk the cup during root or free hand it ? do i weave the root or straight do i make a landing or not? i know to grind your tacks down to join them into weld just need some websites where they actually show welding through lense would be nice or some good advice i know being nervous wont help either lol thanks all......

this joint is in the range that either 3/32 or 1/8" tungsten would get the job done.

walking the cup will be hard on schedule 40, there is not much bevel to slide the cup on for the root. i would freehand
use as little weave as possible on the root.

i would not use a land. or if you do, just barely knock the sharp edge off.

clean the metal a good 1/2" back from the root and on the outsides too

let it cool for a few minutes between each pass....this will be hard if you are nervous. but if you overtemp it, it will weld funky.

i dont know of any websites that show this clearly...i am working on it, but not there yet

good luck

jody
joelwelder
    Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:39 pm

what works for me is a 3/32 tungsten at 80 90 amps, i always walk cup just change cup size feather land and knock off sharp edge with file lay, open root to 3/32 opening and lay wire in joint slowly walk over filler wire staying on mostly on wire and root will wash in be careful not to travel too fast or root will flush on inside and cause suck back.i always use 1/8 filler wire but whatever works for you