Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Puritan
    Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Alright...So I aced the 1G TIG. (Thanks for all the advice by the way)

Now I got a 3G coming up in a few weeks.
I'm using a lay wire technique for my root and running it at about 110-120 amps. Filler and cap passes 140-150. Still 3/8 material with a 35 degree bevel.

My beads are laying down good all except I can't find a way to rest my hand or torch cup on the plate so I'm having trouble keeping them uniform.

Any advice?

i am not trying to pimp the tigfingers on the forum but this might give you some ideas on making your own.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/til ... inger.html

also, if you are trying to walk the cup on plate, you need a flex head tig torch or you are going to have to turn the torch sideways or upside down. it can be kind of awkward. i like to freehand plate with some kind of heatshield on my middle finger. otherwise its hard to get started good for the first inch... you can cut the finger out of an old heavy stick glove and that works better than nothing.

good luck with your 3G

jody
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

i bet that tig finger works great, but i like to wear a pair of new tig gloves, and for my torch hand, wear a cotton jersey cloth glove underneath. You wouldnt believe how much heat this takes off of you! Also, you can cut out the fingers that need the most sensitivity(like the thumb or forefinger). The best thing is, they're really cheap so they are pretty much disposable, and you can have a few different setup cutout gloves for different positions. Like jody said, its better than nothing.

-rick