Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
benny333
    Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:29 am

Hi, i have to do a weld test on 2" XXX heavy wall pipe with a 6010 root and 7018 fill. I have already passed the test on 6" sched. 80, but have heard of different ways of doing the 2". A buddy told me he passed with no land and a 3/32" gap. He put tacks at 3, 6, and 9 o clock and down handed his root in with 3/32 6010, then went up for the rest. I could see this working because the wall is so thick on the pipe that the I.D. is only about 1". Would you recommend this method, or is putting a land on and going up better? Please help!
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

You have probably already taken this test by now, and if so, I hope you passed.

Better late then never though, so here goes, on this type of test I would tack at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o clock. I personally beleive 3 tacks instead of four is just overconfidence, but hey if it works, fuck me right? But 4 tacks will shorten your arc time by 1/3 right? so while your left to do more preperation and grinding, you will probably have less mistakes too. And this is a test for employment, not a "how bad can you be" test.

But I wander.

I would go uphill with a 3/32-1/8 landing also. I never heard of welding a test with a downhill root outside of pipeliner work, and i'm saying it wont work, but I guess you should stick to what you know. So if you know it, do it, if not, dont. But I think uphill is basicley a sure shot, and unless your under time constraints( the down hill method will be faster) I would think you would want a sure shot, right?

Take it for what its worth,

-Rick
Tom O
    Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Benny, How did you test out? That 3/32 root down sounds strange to me. Why don't they TIG it? Is that a company test?
benny333
    Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:29 am

Well i passed the test. The reason they don't TIG it is because this qualifies you for stick. They just give you the pipe bevelled and you can prep it how ever you like with your land and gap. I made a mistake, the tacks actually were at 12, 3, and 6. Thanks for the responses!
Tom O
    Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Glad to hear you got it!