Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
romij
    Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:12 pm

certified in what?
Dragoro
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:56 am

See topic. :mrgreen: Good day everyone. Thanks for the invite Jody.
Brian1770
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:56 am

To become a certified welder, the first step you should probably take is to go to the American Welding Society website at
http://www.aws.org/w/a/certification/in ... d=5K7ii9yk . Copy and paste this to your address bar, then once at the site, go down to accredited test facilities. Find the one closest to you, and give them a call. Tell them what you wish to be certified in and they will give you their price. I hope you are serious about this because these certs tend to be very pricey. However an AWS CW certification is the best cert you can get. It will last a lifetime as long as you maintain it.
JAL1639
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:37 pm

War Eagle!
romij
    Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:12 pm

There are many certs available. Go to the AWS web site. To get a CWI (certified welding inspector) you have to have 15 years in the field or a degree and 5 years (I think). WABO certs can be picked up at any approved site. CWI is usually the first step to achieving more specialized certifications. AWS is getting more specific when in the past a CWI pretty much covered everything. Most people start with structual since it covers the most.
I have taken the test and strongly suggest investing in the week seminar with the test on the 6th day. It's very intense. If you can get a copy of the D1.1, start reviewing.
bgd73
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 am

thanks for info, I had same question.

My integrity was doubted by an auto inspector, just once, and the car in question is so ridiculously overdone, it left me scratching my head in disbelief. I seek a simple cert just for what I do with my car. I'd love to whip a card out next year to the same dufus...and then get defended... 8-)

the site has a newer list of ATF, found one in my locale that I didn't know existed.

I read the tips at the web site some time before the forum, forum is great idea thanks again.
ironworker705
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:55 pm

ggardi wrote:How does one become certified?
You can either go to an AWS certified testing facility, or hire in with a company that will test you.But the only thing about going through a company , is that most other companies will not recognize the other companies certification.Most companies will retest you anyway because they generally recieve a fee from the plant owner per each welder tested.But if you go through the AWS testing facility, then you'll have national certification which you'll have to re-certify either annually or bi-annually.