Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
regy_boy
    Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Hi everybody i currenlty do mig welding at work and im really good ive just passed C&G NVQ level 1 going up to level 3 then going up to level 3 in Tig im only doing the courses to get the qualifications im already really good at Mig but need the course for Tig. once i've got up to level 3 in both i want to do Coded welding prehaps 6G please can someone give me advice on whats the best coding to get into that pays well. thank you for any responses.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

ASME section IX codes are the most versatile and best paying qualifications to have in general industry.

Virtually all pressure piping and vessels that pay real money are covered... Boilers for powerplants, even nuclear, pressure vessels in almost anything that must be certified, boiler tubes in powerplants, etc. I currently work on rocket-fuel transport trailers for a living, and some of my welds fall under ASME IX.

There are more advanced codes, who's specifications I don't know, for things like aerospace welding, and other exotic metal applications, but that's not a place most folk go straight from school.

Just my two cents...

Steve S
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Regy_boy.

A very simplified overview of some major codes are at the attached link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_welding_codes

Are developing the welding skills on plates as well as piping?
Have you started to learn stick welding?

Tanks.
Alexa
regy_boy

Thank you both for reply I live in the u.k I think I will get to level 3 in mig n tig and see if I can find a job where they will code me, than me paying for code
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Regy_boy.

Do not know about the UK, but many constructors/fabricators around the world will require you to take a test weld as per the contractual code of the project that you will be welding on. So if that is the case, then yes, the employer pays the cost of qualification. Depending upon the contract and constructions/fabricators' quality system, there will usually be a Third Party inspector that will witness the welding and stamp their approval on your qualification paperwork. Then as long as you stay active welding for that fabricator, after a code required length of time (often three years), then you 'automatically' requalify.

Alexa
regy_boy

Ok thanks Alexa I don't want to be living on £8 ish a hour when if I'm coded I can probably earn £13 upwards just hope I find a place that will take me without the coded weld certificate aslong as I pass there weld test.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Regy,

Here's a brief rundown of what I see in the US, and I'd expect UK to be similar.

In an open shop (not union negotiated), the shop will be "certified" to meet a code. You, as an employee, will "qualify" to do that weld. You'll test for that weld, and when you pass, your shop will "certify" your welds, without ever handing you a certificate.

They prefer you to be "qualified". If you're "certified", you can go down the road to someone paying more money.

Keep these distinctions in mind as you develop your career.

Steve S
regy_boy

Hi Steve s thank you for your reply I understand what you mean :)