Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
    Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:26 am

Hey there, I have an upcoming CWB All Position Stick/Smaw test and I'm a little rusty when it comes to stick. Unfortunately I am currently unemployed and I am challenging the test in hopes I can pass and then find a job as I see a few in my area that require CWB All Position.

I feel fairly confident in the Flat and Vertical, what I am concerned with is the Horizontal and the Overhead. I've always struggled with Overhead welds and I'm hoping for some tips or advice!

I know the typical things such as making sure I am comfortable all the way through the weld, for overhead I've really got to focus on holding a tight arc but any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-A
Light travels faster than the speed of sound, this is why some people appear bright...Until they speak.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That's a pretty general question, so I'll offer a pretty general suggestion.

When in overhead, as in uphill, "push", rather than drag. This will prevent the pool from sagging behind the rod.

An "all position" test, I assume, is a 6g pipe?

You need a current setting that you're comfortable with in all positions, then, as you're unlikely to be allowed to adjust the machine several times during the test.

Steve S
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

i'm not sure if you're talking about a plate or pipe test so I can only tell you what I find works for me. when welding thick plate in the overhead position my arm gets tired after an hour or so and trying to keep a close/tight arc gets harder and harder so if position permits I lightly drag the rod towards me. with the rod in contact with the work piece I don't have to worry about maintaining arc length. it's confusing sometimes not being able to see what's going on behind the arc but once you get used to it it's a snap.
    Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:26 am

Hey sorry for the lack of clarification! It's a CWB All Position test on Plate. So 1g 2g 3g 4g

Flat, Horizontal, Vertical and Overhead.

Like I mentioned my biggest concern is going to be the overhead, and then the horizontal, I usually find my horizontal CAP is rough looking because the beads aren't the same height off the plate, if that makes sense...

Overhead for obvious reasons, gravity and maintaining a tight arc etc. I have little Smaw experience but I really need the credentials to land a job in my area. So I'm hoping I can pull it off.
Light travels faster than the speed of sound, this is why some people appear bright...Until they speak.
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Adept wrote:Hey sorry for the lack of clarification! It's a CWB All Position test on Plate. So 1g 2g 3g 4g

Like I mentioned my biggest concern is going to be the overhead, and then the horizontal, I usually find my horizontal CAP is rough looking because the beads aren't the same height off the plate, if that makes sense...

Overhead for obvious reasons, gravity and maintaining a tight arc etc. I have little Smaw experience but I really need the credentials to land a job in my area. So I'm hoping I can pull it off.
don't worry too much about cap appearance on the test plate because it gets ground/machined off. your concern should be undercut. i hear you regarding the overhead part! i recently had to take the aws d1.1 and capping over uneven beads with 7018 was no joke. good luck!!
Oddjob83
    Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Adept wrote:Hey sorry for the lack of clarification! It's a CWB All Position test on Plate. So 1g 2g 3g 4g

I think hes referring to the fact the you cant be more than 1/8 above the plate surface for CWB or they can fail you before you even get it cut.

um watch this video?

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/arc ... rhead.html
Jarrod
    Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:50 pm

Yup keep a tight arc. Make sure your tie ins are good.
When welding the bevel and straight side do it just as you would in the flat position. The trick for the middle weave is to stand so the plate is running away from
you. do not stand perpndicular to the plate.The reason
for this is when standing perpendicular its is very hard to see if your tying into the other side behind you. You can see both sides perfectly if the plate is length wise away from you. I use a chain vise and secure it to the very end of the plate so my arm us steady. Rhis us allowed. Make yourself comfortable before you weld.
This is extremely important for welding anything.