Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Oddjob83
    Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:41 pm

I am wanting to go back to school and get me some TIG tickets. now to me anyways it seems a waste to get TIG flat position. Cause the whole course would be a waste of money to only get 1 ticket, and its possible to get 2 or even 4. and our class time would be broken evenly between the positions.

So would it make more sense that if i could master horizontal and vertical that doing flat would be a waste of time?

I did MIG flat and I found that personally it was a waste of an opportunity to learn MIG horizontal, vertical or overhead as i encounter those positions more often through out my work.

these are just my points of view, but I'd like to hear a realistic point of view from people who have been there or wished they should have done it differently.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Depends on where you want to go.

A 6G ticket automatically qualifies you for all positions, and done on a 5/8" wall 2" coupon, should qualifiy you for unlimited thickness.

If you'll only be welding thin materials, though, a 6G sch. 40 coupon will still qualify you for all postions to 3/8" (maybe 1/2"... I'd have to look it up).

You're right that a 1G/1F ticket doesn't qualify you for much beyond bench production work.

If 2G and 4G tickets will serve your needs for the present, by all means, pursue them. If the boss will pay for it, the 6G gives you more options if you ever leave this job.

Steve S