Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Jason123177
    Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:25 pm

I am scheduled to take a 6G GTAW/SMAW test in the morning to start running some turnarounds. I am not sure whether it is going to be 2" or 6", but I plan on following jody's instructions to a tee bc this is something I want bad. I have been welding for the most part of 17 years, but for the last 5 I have been doing nothing but 5P roots and 7018 out. Any additional tips or input would be very much appreciated!!!
Jason123177

The test this morning turned out to be a 2" XXH 6G tig root, tig fill and 7018 cap. Thanks to Jody's videos I nailed it!! The first coupon was supposed to be tig all the way out, then one with a tig root and hot pass. But the root and fill passes were.good enough that the inspector told me to just cap it with 7018 and he would write me in for the other test! Needless to say I was ecstatic. That job lands me $32/hr, $75/day, and 7 12's!! Big props to Jody!!!!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hot Damn, Congratulations!

Few nail their first "real-world" test out of the gate like that. That's some sweet money, too, especially for seven 12's. The OT will build you some bank!

Who for, and where, if you don't mind me asking? (I'll take "where"-- what state, over "who", if you need to guard the info).

Steve S
Jason123177

Lol, thanks Steve. It is for Ohmstede this particular job is at the DuPont plant in LaPlace.

I had a funny feeling this job wasn't too far from me.

I live just over an hour from LaPlace. I assume you're fairly local, since you didn't feel the need to add the state to the location...

Steve S
Jason123177

Yeah I am about a hour from LaPlace in walker. My kids live in Metairie.

I'm near Covington, in Goodbee.

Steve S