Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

I was wondering if anyone had a copy of a WPS that called for short circuit GMAW as the process used or used in combination with other processes for welder qualification. I would like to use it in my classes next semester.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

To my knowledge, you will not find a "generic" WPS for GMAW-S

I've welded ASME, AWS, and AAR, and to the best of my knowledge each procedure must be individually qualified (unlike 7018 for structure, or 6010/7018 for plate and pipe, where you can use a generic).

I do not have a copy of any GMAW WPS I've worked to. Perhaps someone here has one that will suit your needs. What material/thickness/position/preferred wire size? I'm sure someone here's done it, or similar to it, and may be able to get a copy of the WPS for you to use as an appropriate example.

Steve S
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

Thanks Steve, I knew there were no pre-qualified AWS procedures using GMAW-S. I thought maybe some other association might have one or that someone here on the board had worked with one that had gone through qualification. Our GMAW class is 128 hours and I was wanting something to challenge my welders at the end of the semester.