Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Weld master garza
    Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Okay I've primarily welded stick, tig and flux core. Both of which I have no problem passing 3&4g tests. I relocated cities the begging of this year and have struggled to find work in my preferable processes. I had a call back today for a shop job requiring gmaw and fcaw in the 3&4g positions. Not worried about the flux test but concerned about the hard wire test. I have not welded hard in over 4 years. It's 3/8 plate test. My main question is what settings should I use for up hill and for the overhead test. Any and all help welcome.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Weld master garza.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Camerondoherty
    Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:54 am

I just passed both those tests.vertical I ran my machine a little cooler as heat rises.i went with a little under a 1/8 root with matching chamfer.make sure you eat that chamfer away so you get consistent penetration and fusion.over head I would go from left to right .aiming my gun into my puddle to pack filler in.get a good practice in setting your machines .if you run your machine too hot on the overhead test you could get a little suck back.also try to keep your nozzle the same distance throughout the weld to keep heat the same .good luck.i am new myself man so any info you have for me as well you'll be great
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

I would love to have a copy of the WPS for short circuit GMAW on structural steel as the AWS does not have any that are pre qualified. I would be using them for instructional purposes only.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Jody did a couple videos, they should help you....

Here's the 3g test
http://welding-tv.com/2011/09/28/3g-mig-welding-test/

Here's the 4g test
http://welding-tv.com/2011/10/04/4g-mig/
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024