Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
ericcuric
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:37 am

Hello everyone,

I recently did the CWB level 1 weld inspector close/open book exams, i passed all three exams with good results but failed the 10 samples practical. CWB usually asks for a fee to review your exam and then pay a rewrite fee which i don't have any problem paying but what i don't understand is what is their criteria in failing someone because this is second time since 2010 i failed the practical exam. What i lack is practical experience in welding but i need to get this certification to get the job to gain experience as a visual weld inspector. Having said that i have over 3 years of experience in Quality control in which i have been involved in doing a lot of inspection plans, traceability paperwork requirements, reviewing code and standards requirements etc.

Here are my questions.

Does anyone know if CWB marks 10 samples practical exam negatively? Meaning i thought i mentioned all defects and apparent discontinuities but still failed by getting 57%...their passing precentage is 70%.

What should i look for when reviewing the course material before attempting the practical exame second time?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
eric
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Welcome to the show.

Thats bad luck, let me ask you, was it the same examiner both times?

Also, try to write your answers in the exact way they talk about them in the material, and also, dont provide more info than is asked in the questions. I know that this isnt probably going to solve all your problems, but in Australia, the testing body loves the sound of their own voice/ ideas if you get me.

Mick
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Eric.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
ericcuric

Thank you Mike, i appreciate your feedback.

I am not sure about the examiner, it's usually the set of samples A or B they have for test. I had set A so i will be writing the set B this time around.

Just thought about the practical, i had reviewed 10 samples and i only made 1 acceptable. So, considering the rejectability rate i won't be a good inspector. I think i would have to review the discontinuties acceptablity and rejectability requirements because not all discontinuities are defects.

I would pay attention to not mentioning anything other than what i see on the samples.

thanks,
Eric

Hey,
What is the CWB? Have a search around for an inspectors association or a shop that has a few that you can pick the brains of... to get a little inside info.

Good Luck.
ericcuric

Good idea, CWB (Canadian Welding Bureau) they regulate the welding related task in Canada i.e. certification of welders, fabrication shops, welding related standards etc.

I will try to search for CWB welders association who have better knowledge of this role.

thanks,
eric

Hey,

The best sources of info for me have been current welding inspectors.

Mick
misu110382
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi Eric,

I'm going for my level 2 Weld inspector with CWB. Any information about the exam would mean the world.
Is there a way to contact you ? Email or cell.

Thank you,
Michael
misu110382

Hi Eric,

I'm looking to challenge the Level 2 CWB exam for visual inspector.
Is it possible to get in touch with you ? I'm curious about the exam and the questions,
Email or cell or an option to talk/text.
Thank you,
Michael

Hey mate,

If you click on erics user name, you will see an option to send a PM or personal message, which will notify him via email, as he may not ne on the forum much.

Mick

Or indeed click the PM button under the info pane of each post. lol
misu110382

Thank you very much Mike :)

no probs
Crystalk38
    Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:50 am

Hi Eric, I am a certified welding inspector as well as a B Pressure welder with 14+ years experience in the trade. For successful completion of the practical exam, my first suggestion would be to talk to some welders and see if they can make up coupons for you displaying various weld defects. I found the cwb modules poorly written and the pictures were the shits. You could also pm me if you are in need of assistance. Hope to help and good luck!!!
patrick 9089
    Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:53 pm

I just wrote my CWB Level 2 exam a few weeks ago... Its was one of the easiest closed book exams I've writen... That being said, I got my results back and turns out I failed 3 of the 4 portions.. Closed book 63% Code 64% and Practicle 54%.

I call B.S. on these as I know I knew more that 70% of the closed book answers and all my code answers were taked directly from the code itself... SO someone explain to me how I failed... The Practical exam was the same coupons I examined in during my level 1 exam and I passed that with a 70% back then... I know I found more defects on the coupons the second time around, so again someone explain how I fell below 70%.

Does anyone know if I can get a review of my results as I'm 100% sure something went wrong with the CWB in this process.. I know I didn't get 100% but I know that I at least came within the 70% criteria.

I'm so confused.
babakaiff
    Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:44 am

Hey, I just wrote my level 2 final on Monday (3 times because I was so pissed off) and failed all 3 times.
have you had any success passing?
tooraj
    Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:02 pm

babakaiff wrote:Hey, I just wrote my level 2 final on Monday (3 times because I was so pissed off) and failed all 3 times.
Hi Babak, I hope you pass your exam. I just wrote level 2 exam, three weeks ago. The practical exam method had been changed!!! do you happen to have the new practical exam instruction? cheers
mech4ever
    Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:35 am

tooraj wrote:
babakaiff wrote:Hey, I just wrote my level 2 final on Monday (3 times because I was so pissed off) and failed all 3 times.
Hi Babak, I hope you pass your exam. I just wrote level 2 exam, three weeks ago. The practical exam method had been changed!!! do you happen to have the new practical exam instruction? cheers
Hi,
I'm new to this group,i wrote my level 2 exam on april i passed in closed book,Code book and W178.2 except practical so, i rewrite the practical exam 40days before and the result came yesterday i got 65% only. Can anyone give guidance to clear my practical.

What cwb expectation and how can i meet-out that to get pass in practical?

Thanks,
mech4ever