Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Now that I'm surprised about - usually Lloyds can call the shots as they are often the "ultimate" insurer underwriting most others- if they can't get it sorted you know it's a cluster f#ck ! - Brussels has alot to answer for !
Jared
    Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:44 pm

A lot of the confusion seems to have arisen from the change from BS EN 287-1 to the new ISO9606-1....I could not find the info at work as our Quality guy is on holiday, but from another forum i found the same query that we had and Lloyds were unsure of ....

To me it says the welder shall be retested every 3 years (9.3a) but every 2 years there must be two volumetric reports (or destructive tests) during the last 6 months in order to revalidate for a further 2 years (9.3b). So......... that would be at the 18 month point and the 2 year point! why would you have to do this if a year later you will be retesting anyway??? or am i just confusing myself here???

Like you say ...Brussels has a lot to answer for and we have to pay for that

A bit hard going , but i did find a guide to moving from 287 to 9609 !!

http://www.ewf.be/media/documentosDocs/ ... o-9606.pdf
Murex 353is TransTig
Esab Aristo Mig 4001i Pulse
Murex 406s Transmig
Frosty
    Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:38 pm

You guys over across the pond need to keep this whole change in code over there, because if these knuckleheads here in the states get wind of your guys change, they to will want to screw it all up to! Dam governments! :shock:
The plan is to out live everyone and take their tools!
coldman
  • coldman

Here in oz we are a bit different to else where. Once you have your certification you have it for life. Of course on the big projects or on the pipeline you have to pass their weld test and specification which is then held permanently with your weld history on the job. Private guys like me that sail under the international radar on smaller jobs qualify our own procedure to satify our own insurers or customer quality assurance requirements. There are many boilermakers out there working only on the big projects without certification because they have to retest on each new project they start at. There is a push on by testing companies to privatise certification in which case we would adopt the American system. So far our government is resisting this push.
Logosweld
    Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:43 am

noddybrian wrote:There is no real difference in the welding part of it - essentially if you are doing a test piece for which an approved WPS already exists all you do is turn up prep the piece & weld it while being observed by a qualified inspector - he will want to look at aspects of your work throughout & provided you've practiced that joint before & don't fall out with the guy it will go off to have various tests done on it & you should pass - if you are trying to qualify a procedure the biggest hurdle is knowing what is wanted - ideally you need to work with a teaching facility who has experience that can assist you write your own WPS in a manner that the inspector likes to hear ! - on the day explain as you read through the procedurewith him hopefully he will agree in principal with what you intend to do - at this stage if he does'nt like it or wants to amend it let him - then do the weld as normal - it will need to be tested by a place that is favored by your insurance provider - they need to accept under advisement that the WPS is sound - then if the piece passes all relevant metallurgy testing the WPS is approved & your a hero ! & then only need to do a repeat test piece every 2years or whatever interval you insurance specifies - my mate has not done his renewal yet - but when he does I'll try to get a copy of the paper work - ( his WPS has already been approved though ).
totally agreed this should sounds good
micbanand
    Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:20 pm

I do not see that big a different in the new iso standard.

but if no longer in some points allowing a C caracter.

I do not like thinking of making a HLO 45 in ø48mm 5mm thicknes. with stick. (used a lot in boilers and so)

They outfased the ø82 8mm pipe about 10 years ago. here in Denmark.
still possible if firm cert. but not as a private school cert,