Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
budcurrie
    Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:37 pm

Hi, I'm a newbi here, love exploring the site for its information and videos...need some advice on Cert. topic.
My friend and I are starting up a weld shop, my friend is the owner of the place and he as asked me to become his head weldor as I have had experience at a Tech College. (many moons ago)...he wants to do it right and have a Cert. "hanging on the wall", reason, his primary business is aviation repair and maintenance so the FAA is always buzzing around, plus it just looks good to the clients...nothing structural or pertaining to the performance/safety of the aircraft will be involved, just general stuff.
So I would like to get some ideas on which test to take, he is paying for it/them :D I will be dealing with mostly 4130 tubing, stainless plate, aluminum etc...I do realize I could just go take the 1F test and be done, but at the same time (since he's paying!!!) I would like to have something nice to hold on to just in case I ever want to jump in and land a full time gig...so maybe a 6G...the part I'm confused about is; are there separate tests for each material? i.e. if I want cert. on Alum, Stainless, and Carbon, will I need to take 3 different tests?
Btw, we found a very clean Miller Syncrowave 250D and a Millermatic 210 for a VERY good deal, the electrician is coming this week to set the 100 amp sub panel...time to get geared up (Tig Finger will be bought)...
thanks
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I can't say I've had a cert. that was in calligraphy and suitable for framing...

Get one of you certified as a weld inspector, to reassure the customer the welds are properly inspected. Werkspace knows much about aircraft specifications, and our founder, Jody, is also an EAA member; Either can advise you better.

Steve S
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

When I was doing aerospace I had to qualify on titanium, aluminum, inconel, stainless steel, and haynes188 in .030 and .080 that qualified me to do .020 - .320. It's AWS D17.1.

Yes each material requires a test. I hope you guys did your homework, insurance is huge, do you have an ndt dept? Ability to take X-rays, or are you going to farm that out? FAA approval does not come easy, do you have a weld engineer, who can create/modify approved wps's?
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Bud.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
budcurrie
    Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:37 pm

We do have an Eng. that can handle the WPSs...as for the insurance I'm not sure, but keep in mind nothing structural i.e. Air Frame fabrication (for now anyway)...I guess the plan is to start off with general items which would not need to be approved (I'm not sure yet what that is).
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

budcurrie,
As far as certs go there is no one that covers all or one that is necessarily better than others. As Wes917 said each material (and thickness) requires a separate test. Also consider as an example a 1" D1.1 will cover you unlimited thickness and 24" and up pipe but does not cover 8" pipe or necessarily sheet. There are customers and employers that will not recognize the 1" test and will require say a 3/8" or smaller because that is what you will be welding. In most of our eyes if you can pass a 1" you should be good to go. I have seen and have friends that have taken a test thinking it will cover them universally, only to have to take a specific test later. Then you get into the WPS side of tests. Technically when you step outside of a parameter on the WPS you are no longer certified. Think government work, if they come in and you are outside your WPS things go bad.
As far as your business opportunity, I say go for it! Yes as mentioned there are a lot of details but don't get discouraged. Everything will come in time. Give it your all and have the best fun you can!
Rich08
    Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:53 pm

Hello

I am going for a weld test for an aerospace company

What amps would you use on
1mm stainless steel T-fillet and tube to plate?

Thank you for any help