Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Hey Superior,

What kinda gig you got? I wouldn't mind getting in on some work in like that.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
SkyDawg
    Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:20 am

hey guys,
I really appreciate all of the advice on this subject..its been great. After reading thru your stuff..I guess I may just be over thinking/over reacting...which is good news to me. Superior, I can use a grinder and definitely will, haha. I took a test last week and failed it with a 1/2" slag inclusion..pretty disappointed, but on to the next one. I have another one coming up soon...a few days from now..little nervous, but again, with the advice here and the fact that you don't think that the slag in the side is too bad, that makes me feel more at ease. About the rods..I bought some Lincoln Excalibur 7018MR (3/32)..took them out of the can and put directly into the oven. Started welding with them about an hour and half later and it almost seemed like the slag was even more rough to come off than the other Lincoln rods we have...that seriously frustrated me..I actually stopped welding and decide to take a break. It's just that stubborn hot pass that is getting me, it always leaves a little undercut in the bevel(s) and slag in the toes. I've tried every type of heat/dig combo within the specs...can't seem to find a sweet spot...it almost feels like I've regressed in the last week. Like i said, the fact that I will use a grinder and I only missed by 1/2 inch makes me feel a little more comfortable tho. Thanks to all who helped me out with advice, it is greatly appreciated and has definitely helped. I'll keep yall posted...
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCdmlTxq1Co
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBuscHRI9ko

Here's some 7018 uphill video's with some good arc shots.
Hope this helps,
John~
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Murlin
    Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:13 am

A hot pass generally doesn't mean your temp has to be higher....it's called that because it needs to be a good solid bead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SkyDawg

Passed it!!
Arizona SA200

Where is that thumbs up button when you need it???? Good job man!!!

Got any pics?

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

SkyDawg,
Congratulations!!! So how did all your passed go? If you passed that must mean that you over came all obstacles. Hope this cert lands you a great job!!
-Jonathan
SkyDawg

Thx a lot guys! Ya it was tough..but the grinder came in handy...ill get pics up here soon. Thx for all the help, I put all of that advice to use, and it helped. What a relief
SkyDawg

My passes were pretty good. Again, the hot pass had some slag...had to grind carefully...but in the end it worked out. Cover pass went on nice and smooth, at least it felt pretty smooth. What I realized is that I have to find a way to calm my nerves a little bit...cuz the day after I tested...did some welding at work and things were clicking...no issues. Pics soon
Arizona SA200

I'm sure we can all understand the nerves. Gets even worse when its not I want this job but I NEED this job.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Arizona SA200 wrote:I'm sure we can all understand the nerves. Gets even worse when its not I want this job but I NEED this job.
Yeah, the "test anxiety" goes up exponentially when "need" is more important than "want"...

I've experienced it, and suffered because of it...

:oops:

Steve S
SkyDawg

Well said Otto, this was kind of a 'need to pass' for a 'want' gig..if that makes sense. Anywho, here are a few pics of the finished root and then the cap. Should have tried to get better shots. I also think they look a bit better in person. Bottom line is, I passed and the nerviness is over...for now.
Attachments
Cover/Cap--Came out pretty decent seeing as my nerves were peaked
Cover/Cap--Came out pretty decent seeing as my nerves were peaked
Cap1.jpg (56.28 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
Root
Root
Root2.jpg (71.43 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
Root pass...wish I had a close up
Root pass...wish I had a close up
Root1.jpg (69.56 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Congratulations!

Nice root, in particular.

Bend test? Four bends (two root, two face), or six (add two side bends)?

Steve S
SkyDawg

Haha..thx Steve. It's been a while man. You helped me a bit with my 3G welds last year I think...very informative. Actually it was Xray...been thru it already, so i was relieved to have passed.
Arizona SA200

That is a nice lookin root pass.

Excellent work my friend!!!
Congrats on passing the bend test!!!

Good luck on the job it lands you....

~John :D

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
SkyDawg

Thx guys, ur help and advice is greatly appreciated...it really aided in my progress. Much obliged