Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

I recently started with a company that wants to get their R stamp. For those of you that are not familiar it is a qualification for repair on pressure vessels. I will be the welder taking care of the weld tests required as well as samples for the R stamp. Has anyone dealt with this before? We are not going for a U stamp (fabrication of new vessels) just repair. The paperwork end will be taken care of, just wondering about testing. Thanks in advance.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey

Sounds like a good job. Just remember not to be an arrogant prick when it comes to testing other welders. I work at a place where you never get a go at anything different because the top 3 are their own club. Make sure you can tell the difference between a welder who just cant do it to one who really wants to and will move heaven and earth to get a chance.

http://www.nationalboard.org/index.aspx ... 115&ID=160

Mick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

ASME IX has everything you need about qualifying welds and welders. What tests cover what positions/thicknesses, etc.

I've got an outdated copy in .pdf format I use for general reference (I weld at an R-stamp shop) that Mick gave me. You'd want a current copy, of course, because they revise bits and pieces every year, but this would get you started.

It's a very dry read, but there's much you can skip unless you get into the engineering side.

PM me an email address, and I'll send it to you.

Steve S