Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
ourlaw52
    Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:15 am

I work in Dade city fl . I'm not currently certified but I'm being asked to make tube leak repairs and Dutchman installs. There is no one there and there is no engineer on site to over see.
Is it legal. BC I don't think so. Any advise would be appreciated. So far I've refused to do the repairs.
Thanks. Dan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Dan,

Unless there's something in a local code, you can make the tube repairs without a certification. ASME boiler codes require certification to weld on pressure vessels, whether in manufacture or repair, with documentation/record keeping, but not so on the tubes.

They do require the repairs be done by a "qualified" welder, but if you can pass a 6-g heavy wall test, you're qualified. I have an outdated (2001) copy of ASME IX -- Welder Qualification in .pdf format I can e-mail you, if you like.

Steve S
ourlaw52
    Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:15 am

Thanks I'd appreciate it.
I am capable of 6 g no problem.but its been years since I've been tested.my email is jprater@htwc.biz
Thanks again. Dan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Dan, it's sent. Let me know when/if you received it, as I was lazy and use Windows Live Mail to access my hotmail account, and that's been unpredictable on occassion.

Steve S

P.S. I should point out that, even outdated, this is copyrighted information. As far as I'm concerned, I'm loaning you a book, not publishing it publicly. Don't forget to send it back when you're done... ;)