Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Jeff293
    Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi, just wanted to know if there's such a thing as pre-qualifications for the rod that was used after becoming 6g (or any other position) certified. like if you certify with gtaw er80s2 root and hot then smaw 8018 fill and cap will that pre-qualify you for using gtaw er70s2 root and hot then smaw 7018 fill and cap of the same size rod and same kind of pipe? Or do the pre-qualifications only count toward the position of the same pipe? any info or suggestions would help.

I only have a couple months left of my adult ed night class. might try for 3/32 gap with 3/32 er80sd2 root and hot then 3/32 8018 for fill and cap. school includes two pipe tests in price of class and they will get sent out to get tested. I think both x-ray and bend tests.
thanks if you respond, if not that's ok. if theres any questions i'll try to answer as quick as i can
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome!

Generally speaking, if you're certified/qualified for an 80XX rod, you're also certified/qualified for a 70XX rod, just as testing for a 1" plate qualifies you for 1/2".

An over-simplification, I realize, but it's unlikely a qualification for e80s2 woudln't also qualify you for e70s2, unless there's a very specific WPS.

You'd be stunned how broad the specs were on my ASME IX test, qualifying me for carbon and stainless to 3/8" all position.

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Jeff293 wrote:Hi, just wanted to know if there's such a thing as pre-qualifications for the rod that was used after becoming 6g (or any other position) certified. like if you certify with gtaw er80s2 root and hot then smaw 8018 fill and cap will that pre-qualify you for using gtaw er70s2 root and hot then smaw 7018 fill and cap of the same size rod and same kind of pipe? Or do the pre-qualifications only count toward the position of the same pipe? any info or suggestions would help.

I only have a couple months left of my adult ed night class. might try for 3/32 gap with 3/32 er80sd2 root and hot then 3/32 8018 for fill and cap. school includes two pipe tests in price of class and they will get sent out to get tested. I think both x-ray and bend tests.
thanks if you respond, if not that's ok. if theres any questions i'll try to answer as quick as i can
Jeff,
It will depend on the WPS, as stated. I am not ASME certified yet, but according to my WPS even changing your gas flow can put you outside of your cert.
Taking a AWS D1.1 in 1" qualifies you for unlimited thickness. Don't know if I have helped or hurt your question.
What school are you attending?
-Jonathan
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Jeff293.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Jeff293

Sweet. Thanks otto.

Thanks mike

Superior- kinda helped i guess. Attending portage lakes career center in uniontown OH in their adult ed night class
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Jeff293 wrote:
Superior- kinda helped i guess. Attending portage lakes career center in uniontown OH in their adult ed night class
My parents live in Uniontown :lol: Small world.
-Jonathan
Jeff293

superior- I guess it is a small world lol