Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Dawgfan24
    Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:42 pm

I have been welding for about 10 years, mainly structural mig/tig. I have a fair amount of pipe experience but mainly tig all the way out and mainly stainless. I have a job opportunity but the test is a 6g tig root and stick out on carbon. I haven't stick welded since high school. Any pointers would be a great help. Thanks.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Dawgfan24 wrote:I have been welding for about 10 years, mainly structural mig/tig. I have a fair amount of pipe experience but mainly tig all the way out and mainly stainless. I have a job opportunity but the test is a 6g tig root and stick out on carbon. I haven't stick welded since high school. Any pointers would be a great help. Thanks.
Here is a great video by Jody that might help you.
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tig ... -tips.html
-Jonathan
Dblcorona
    Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:30 pm

It's about gap control and angle. I have my students use scrap pipe and make them do stringer passes on the outside of the pipe which is a little harder than the fill passes for the test. You get those down then you'll be in good shape.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Dblcorona wrote:It's about gap control and angle. I have my students use scrap pipe and make them do stringer passes on the outside of the pipe which is a little harder than the fill passes for the test. You get those down then you'll be in good shape.
Agreed....I still do that at times to keep my skills up. Laying bead after bead also helps with muscle memory.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
DylanWelds
    Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25 am

Just run your 7018 fill pass (or passes) pausing with a bit of angle pointed up to the top and then bring it down for a second to bring it to the bottom. This will help with gravity trying to work against you. You can see this technique done in a lot of 6g stick tutorial videos. As for tips from personal experience my main ones would be to make sure your holding your sides to burn out any trapped slag. If you do trap some slag make sure you hit it with a thin grinder wheel to remove the slag before laying your next pass. From experience I have found I like to fill all the way flush before capping so you don't have to worry so much about undercut on your final cap pass. Make sure your start technique is good so that you don't get porosity in your starts and if you do grind it out.