Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
pro mod steve
    Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

I have worked for the family business for 23 years full time (automotive) can't count years part time. I was told Monday with no notice I have to find a NEW job. the business is being sold. I took a tig welding course 4 years ago for non pipe (light fabrication,repairs, car stuff). I have done all the welding, fab, and repairs at work since and brought in a new clientel and money. I LOVE tig welding and want to follow my passion but I have no interest in pipe, more the fabrication or manufacturing side. Where do I start? what certs should I go get? I am lost as I have never thought I would have to get another job. Basically what do I need to get my foot in the door?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Well, THAT's a heartly li'l "thank you" for 23 years on paper, plus...
They couldn't offer you a parachute? I'd consider hiring one of those "contingency" laywers.

Where are you? (Nearest town/city/region)
Or would you prefer to travel? How far?

If you can weld, you can work.

Steve S
pro mod steve

I am in Friendswood TX outside Houston. A lawyer is out of the question I am MAD but its still my dad. I am calling all contacts putting feelers out there. Travel is out of the question because of my daughter. I need all the time I can get(divorced) and SHE COMES FIRST. Travel is a last resort if its what I have to do to take care of her.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Pro Mod,
Check out airproducts.com under the career link, there's a posting for a fleet mechanic in Laporte.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

You say you have no interest in pipe. Not all pipe is pipeline. Have you pictured what it takes to weld "sanitary pipe" for $30+ per hour? It's TIG welding, and it's not hard in principle... It just takes some practice.

Steve S
pro mod steve

Sanitary pipe slipped my mind thanks for the input.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Check out shops that specialize in display/exhibit work in your area. There is always a need for welder/fabricators with your experience. I don't know what the union situation is in Texas, you may have to go through the exhibit carpenters or stagehands union.

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder

delraydella wrote:Check out shops that specialize in display/exhibit work in your area. There is always a need for welder/fabricators with your experience. I don't know what the union situation is in Texas, you may have to go through the exhibit carpenters or stagehands union.

Other Steve
Excellent suggestion. Between the booming movie industry and the sheer number of expositions and trade shows along the gulf coast, I'd think there'd be an active job market for it. I'll have to look in tomorrow's paper, since I don't recall seeing that kind of work listed, so maybe the unions are the way in.

Steve S