Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
    Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi guys I have an opportunity to work at a shop that fabricates pressure vessels for the oil and gas industry. They want me to take a 6g 2 1/2" schedule 160 test with mig and flux. I was just wondering if anybody has any tips to give me on machine settings and technique. I've done a fair amount of both mig and flux and a lot more tig than anything I just always had help setting the machine up and I'm a little nervous going in.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I would suggest checking out the 4 part series on Mig basics on the WT&T website, Jody does a great job in these videos showing how to set up the machine. Once the basics are set your experience should take over and help you fine tune the machine. Most places will let you take a few practice runs on scrap to get the machine dialed in that you'll use for the test. After that you can check in with any questions that you still have. There are plenty of sharp people here to answer your specific questions.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:53 pm

Thanks for the tip i'll check them out. I went by the shop today and it turns out the settings for the machine are on the paper they give you with the guidelines of the test on it. Now theres nothing to it but to do it. I'm going to try and get some practice at a friends house I haven't wire welded in a while. Wish me luck.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Good Luck.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

MIG root on pipe is a pain in the A$$...

That's the hard part of the test, as real FC experience makes the fill and cap feel like 7018.

I don't have enough experience to give you solid advice, beyond pointing the gun close to 90* to push the root with the arc force.

Steve S