Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
    Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:57 pm

OK so I have been welding for 8 years and I am not certified for any type of process. Do you think it would be good for me to go get any kind of service certification that I can get. I thank I can pass a test just don't know what kind to go and take or what I should take.
Negativ3
    Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:25 am

Hi quvit92, I am not a welder (yet) but what type of welding do you do? The most common process you do will help you find the right certification.
Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding is my personal signature dish.
Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
    Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:57 pm

It is not the most common process. I thank it is a api speck just don't know witch one it is. It is on 4140 tool still and in the 1g position rolled out by hand. Image
Negativ3
    Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:25 am

Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding is my personal signature dish.
Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

As other have posted, follow the links to the Welding Tips and Tricks page and the comments Jodi (sorry if I am spelling that wrong), has on the subject. At the school I teach at, we have a CWI (I am working on getting my own CWI) and we are an AWS testing station. I do a lot of custom training, and administer tests for local industry here at the school.

Like everyone else, I have mixed opinions about 'certification', or whatever you want to call it. You can go to a job and pass a 3G or 4G test, and NEVER do those welds at work. I think the important thing is that if you pass a test, you have proved that you have reached a certain level of skill and proficiency. Also, you have proved that you can pass a cert test, which might be important to a future employer.

If you have the opportunity to take cert tests, go for it. You will gain experience taking tests and handling the tests. I constantly give my students welding tests. Part of that is to evaluate their performance and give them written feed back, but a big part of that is to get them used to being under stress and taking welding tests.

I hope this is helpful!
Boomer63