Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
metalfab
    Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:59 pm

About 8 years go I received my Steel Fab level 1. Since then I've been busy and have never needed to be certified in welding. I understand and respect the process to get certified however, no company has asked or needed me to do so; until now.

Today I tested in the flat position for 309 SS and also mild steel using MCAW. Hopefully the results will be successful, I managed to get a photo of the SS test below: my cap was measured at 1/32" above the plate, limit was 1/8".

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

That test piece looks great to me! If you cleaned well and kept ahead of the puddle you will be fine. Care to share the plate thickness and a rough idea on your specs?
I turned in 4 tests Monday and am supposed to get results tomorrow and then I have 4 more to take up when we pick up our bent pieces. I know how anxious or nervous one can be. My last cert was 5 years ago so it's been a while.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Gawd, I miss "procedure tests."...If I've failed, I've wasted the tester's time, the company's time, and mine, for perhaps $750.

My last "busted" x-ray cost about $12K. My last x-ray would have cost over $10K for a fail...

Focus on the details, not the test. If you're looking at the details, and that's where your focus is, you'll be fine. If you're focused on the results, you'll have trouble every time.

That's a damn fine test plate, and just on a "visual", I'd call it a pass.

Steve S
metalfab

Superiorwelding wrote:That test piece looks great to me! If you cleaned well and kept ahead of the puddle you will be fine. Care to share the plate thickness and a rough idea on your specs?
I turned in 4 tests Monday and am supposed to get results tomorrow and then I have 4 more to take up when we pick up our bent pieces. I know how anxious or nervous one can be. My last cert was 5 years ago so it's been a while.
-Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan, sorry I didn't reply earlier, I was getting a posting error from this site.

I cleaned every pass with a wire wheel to get rid of the silicon and slag. The plate thickness is 1/2" and the back plate is 1/4". One plate was cut at 90° and the other had a 45° bevel, the gap was 5/8". Nervousness might be good, keeps you aware of what you are doing. Good luck to you in your results as well!
metalfab

I'm still waiting for the test results, hopefully this week!
metalfab

Made my Wednesday, I passed both the mild and stainless tests!

metalfab wrote:Made my Wednesday, I passed both the mild and stainless tests!
Congratulations!

I assume now you'll be busy making money at this? ;)

Please share where you go from here, as well as whats next!

Steve S
metalfab

Thanks Steve! Well as far as money goes its not about that [SMIRKING FACE] . I've been at a new job for the past month, really enjoying it. Sometimes I'll get beams with gussets, clips and pipe with flanges, clips and railings but all that is rare at this time. Mostly I'm fabbing and welding prototype work.

transmitted by a Nexus device.

metalfab wrote:...Mostly I'm fabbing and welding prototype work.
Excellent!

That's where the real fun is! It calls on creativity, and engages many brain cells... :geek:

Steve S
metalfab

The days so far go too fast. I look at the clock sometimes and wonder if I stepped into the Tardis [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

metalfab wrote:The days so far go too fast. I look at the clock sometimes and wonder if I stepped into the Tardis
Liking your job is a blessing. I roll my eyes at people who can only talk about Friday... Why wish five days of your life away for two days that will pass too fast?

Monday is usually my best day.

Steve S
metalfab

I've enjoyed most of the jobs over the few years I've been in the trade. I bounced around for the first 3 years just to see what I'd enjoy. In that process I regrettably left a particular employer that I regret to this day. Hindsight is 20/20. The place I'm at now reminds me of that and so far is great. Coincidentally, I fitted a piece frequently for the employer I now work for.